Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Front Door

Hats off!!

This is very nice. I am really impressed how nice that finished product looks. This is something I've considered trying for a bit now. I live in the great north and we have a lot of temperature and moisture changes, so it makes me very nervous to follow through with it. Have you made doors like this before or would you have a recommendation of where to go to look for ideas, plans, and most importantly, mistakes to avoid on projects like this? Again, very nice work and details.
    USMC '97-'01

Beautiful door! So sorry to hear about your wife. Same happened to my wife too - we took it very hard, but she came through after similar operations. Right in the middle of super busy life - made me more compassionate, but also ruthless and relentless in my current pursuits, while slowing down at same time, as we really don't have much time left.

I love the way the rays jump out on your quartersawn - so easy to chip on corners.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Adam - I have been making doors for over 30 years - not real complicated- get quarter sawn lumber - of clear vertical grain (same thing) with a good material for weather - white oak, Douglas fir, mahogany, red grandis or similar lumber- make sure that all edges are sealed well (top and bottom, sides). As far as the design, pick something out that you like - can find numerous examples on-line at areas such as Simpson doors, etc. The door that I made is with mortise and tenon to hold it together - the tenons are 3-inches long and 3/4 “ thick- you can also pin them so it can not come apart -

best advice, make a door- do not like it, learn and build another

Thanks for the advise John. I appreciate it.
    USMC '97-'01

Lovely door to come home to!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

7. Quote Originally Posted by John P Clark View Post
    We found out in October that she has cancer - had a major operation last week to remove the tumor and some lymph nodes - should get to go home today and still has radiation and chemo to look forward to. - thank you for asking
    Beautiful door and workmanship. Praying for a quick, easy and full recovery for your wife.