Thread: Supermax 16-32 vs 19-38?

Supermax 16-32 vs 19-38?

Searched but didn't find anything - wondering if any of you have experience with both machines, and could help me decide. Shop space isn't a big issue, but I've learned from experience that bigger isn't always better. Black Friday sales prices are around $1,100 for the 16, $1,260 for the 19 so not a huge difference there either... is the 19-38 a better machine, or are they close enough that the smaller machine would be better for a serious amateur?
    Thanks,
    Rob

I own the 16 and have not used the 19. With that said, I went through the same decision process a little over a year ago. I chose the 16 based on what I was going to use it for. 16" was as wide as my craft and hobby projects needed. Both machines look to me to be of equal quality. I say if you have the space, for the small price difference go for the 19.

$150.00 is not worth going smaller for ..... IMO.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    $150.00 is not worth going smaller for ..... IMO.
    +1 I started with the 16/32 and always had something that was too big. Now I have a 25/50 and haven't had anything too big so far.

The idea that you can run something through twice and get double width (32 inches on the 16/32) just doesn't work. Or at least I never could get it to work to my satisfaction.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    +1 I started with the 16/32 and always had something that was too big. Now I have a 25/50 and haven't had anything too big so far.

The idea that you can run something through twice and get double width (32 inches on the 16/32) just doesn't work. Or at least I never could get it to work to my satisfaction.

Mike
    I was able to get the two pass thing to work on my 16/32, but I have never tried anything at the maximum 32" width, mostly 18-24" where there was plenty overlap. Since the open end must be pointed up a hair, the board doesn't come out perfectly flat. You can notice the crown if you test it with a good straight edge (a few thousandths of an inch, maybe 1/64"). It does take a good setup and the paper laying on the drum, especially at the starting end, just right. Also one of the passes will be against the grain. I try to make it the second for obvious reasons.

If you have put out this much money and the price difference is $150, then why not. But I have very seldom need sand anything more then 12" (I have a 12" planer), and never wider than 32" (probably haven't reached 30" even).

There was a recent thread here that may be helpful to you. I was in your position in the spring and ended up with the 19-38 because it opens up to 4" vs 3" and I needed the extra depth.
    Zach
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....er-model-19%94

I’ll never get an open ended sander again. The point of it being open ended is to be able to double the sanding width. But in practice it doesn’t sand flat so why bother? Double ended sander for me next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    I was able to get the two pass thing to work on my 16/32, but I have never tried anything at the maximum 32" width, mostly 18-24" where there was plenty overlap...
    This has been my experience as well. Also, when sanding wider than 16" you'll need to make even shallower cuts than usual, as it's very easy to cause the belt to slow down, which will leave a divot. You'll be operating closer to the sander's limit, power-wise. Bottom line, yes you can do it but it's a more demanding and meticulous process than the usual drum sanding.

I have the Performax 22-44. I mostly sand small things with coarse paper, sometimes from roughsawn. To me the value of the extra length is useful to spread out the wear on the sandpaper. Also nice to run several pieces through at an angle especially if I've just flattening roughsawn woodturning blanks for glue up. And if I have a lot, I can feed several in at once, side by side.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    ...I chose the 16 based on what I was going to use it for. 16" was as wide as my craft and hobby projects needed. Both machines look to me to be of equal quality. I say if you have the space, for the small price difference go for the 19.
    This is the crux of the question: "is the 16" built to the same level of quality as the 19"? If it is, I'd probably pick it; my projects rarely exceed 24" in width and, like most of you, they're usually under 12-13 wide.

But the 3" vs 4" difference could be the decision-maker for me, that's a significant advantage to the 19" for me.

Either way, Acme Tool ($1,250 plus free shipping!) deal ends tomorrow so I need to make a call soon.

Thanks all - appreciate the input ( and the link, Zach - exactly what i couldn't find!)
    Rob

I have teh 25-50 and love it. The 19-38 is built like a tank as well. I haven't seen the 16-32 in person. The $160 for the upgrade would be a no brainer for me.

If room and money aren't an issue, (and they are of equal quality... I have a 19 but haven't seen the 16) I don't see any possible argument for going small. Because it is usually adequate? What kind of reason is that?