Thread: Sharpening CMT Euro knives-Tormek Jig?

Sharpening CMT Euro knives-Tormek Jig?

I need to work on sharpening my shaper HSS insert knives from CMT with 24mm pin spacing. Does anyone have experience with Tormek's SPV80 jig? Or a better method? I have a Supergrind 2000. By hand on my water stones doesn't sounds efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Andre View Post
    I need to work on sharpening my shaper HSS insert knives from CMT with 24mm pin spacing. Does anyone have experience with Tormek's SPV80 jig? Or a better method? I have a Supergrind 2000. By hand on my water stones doesn't sounds efficient.
    Bob, often times a quick lapping on the back will rejuvenate them just fine with only a few swipes. Those cheaper 40mm Euroblock knives aren't that hard and I expect if you have decent sharpening stones you could have it done before you got the SPV80 set-up and attached to the Tormek. I have a diamond plate and it really just takes 10 swipes back and forth even with the much better and harder Whitehill steel I usually use.

B

Thanks Brent. It won't cost me anything to start out there.

While I have been doing what Brent suggested I have often wondered about the Tormek jig but I have never seen any feedback on it and it isn't cheap, even by Tormek jig standards.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.