Thread: Strap clamps

Strap clamps

I have to come up with some stuff I could use for Christmas ideas. One of the things that I've wanted but haven't got around to getting was a couple strap clamps. I'm thinking that they would be useful for gluing segmented rings together. I've seen some cheap ones on Amazon for around $15 but they also have the Bessey brand ones for $27 which seams like not enough more to justify a cheaper one. The exception is the Merle clamps MLCS sells. The Bessey has a nylon strap, would wood glue cause issues if it got on it by accident? The MLCS strap is steel and is just a typical steel banding strap so any glue should be removable or the strap easily replaced. What do others think?

Those strap clamps with the 4 corner pieces dont work well with segment glue ups. you cant eliminate the corner connected to the clamp mechanism and it is difficult to align the corner to not push the segments out of alignment. Good old hose clamps are your best option ask for a case of them if you do alot of segment stuff. You can never have to many if your doing a big project.

I have found these Wolfcraft strap clamps to be better than the Bessey strap clamps. Much easier to use during glue ups.
    https://www.amazon.com/wolfcraft-368.../dp/B000JCLNQ4
    Haven't done any segmented bowls or anything , but have used them on boxes (4 sided, 8 sided and 16 sided). They work well. I have also used elastic and bungee cord
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with these …. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BFW4Z7X/ref=dp_prsubs_1

20180408_182131.jpg20180917_173813.jpg

Jim

Surgical tubing works well at times as well. Glue doesn't seem to stick either.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I'm with Chris on this one. I would stick with hose clamps. The ones I use can be quickly adjusted by pulling up the screw and pulling the strap. Works well for keeping the segment corners in alignment. Just make sure not to over-tighten narrower rings because it can bow it out of flatness.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I use 4" stainless steel hose clamps for segment work. I join them together for larger rings. I got two hundred of them on ebay for about $.40 each. The guy said he had pallets of them. Glue pops off.

Go on line for hose or duct clamps. You will find many sizes available. Saves Useing multiple clamps to get the length you need. Tight Bond can be soaked off to clean.
    C&C WELCOME

For segmented rings I agree with the other posters that hose clamps work well and are cheap. That said, to answer the OP's original question about other clamps. I own some of the Bessey strap clamps and some of the Merle clamps. Getting some glue on the Bessey's nylon strap doesn't cause a problem, but getting a lot on it might - it doesn't come off easy, depending on the type of glue. The Bessey is easy to use and puts a good amount of force, evenly distributed. I've found the Merle clamp a little more difficult to get set up. The corner blocks can be removed (or more added). It's possible to get cut by the strap, but not so much to be a big concern. It can put considerable force on on object (there's no give in that steel strap). If used without corner blocks it's more likely to mar (dig in) compared to the nylon strap. I personally go to the Bessey over the Merle for most applications, but I only use them for larger items.

These are one of those tools that I've wanted but never had enough of a reason to buy a couple. I have an idea that I want to try for making segmented bowls but I'm not sure if hose clamps will work with what I'm thinking. Not sure if a strap clamp would work either. I do have plenty of hose clamps around in all sorts of sizes. A BIL works for a HVAC company and has plenty of long ones they use to connect flexable duct work to steel ducts.

Alex, I use the hose clamp for segmented bowls. Holding segs in each ring. Then glue and stack the rings with weight applied. Check out my last turning titled Chocolate Delight.
    C&C WELCOME

What gave me the idea about using a strap clamp was an article here. https://sawmillcreek.org/content.php...egmented-Bowls Right now I'm at the point where I'm looking for the equipment I'll want.