Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has everyone forgotten how to syphon gas!!

Yes, I live in the woods.

Blog Entries
    Use your thumb not your mouth...
    Could you explain that for those of us who do not know how to make the thumb suck gas through a tube?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    I hope those of you that advocate turning the mower on it side to dump the gas are not just letting it drain onto the ground. It is being captured to use again and not allowed to pollute the ground water is it?
    They make drain pans big enough to do the job. Not to worry, I use an oil drain pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I left the gas in my snowblower over the summer. The engine won't start now. I'll probably end spending a fair bit of time and some money installing a new carb because I forgot to run the gas out last spring.
    Oops

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Beitz View Post
    All you guys live in the woods? No health problems siphoning gas
    Use your thumb not your mouth...
    Kinda hard to do it that way when the tank is only 2" deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Yes, I live in the woods.
    Same here. So far, that hasn't stopped me from being smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    I hope those of you that advocate turning the mower on it side to dump the gas are not just letting it drain onto the ground. It is being captured to use again and not allowed to pollute the ground water is it?
    I only do that when I am in Canada. Actually I try to just use enough gas at the end of the season that I can let it run for about 5 minutes
    Last edited by Jerome Stanek; 12-02-2018 at 5:00 PM.

Well I'm glad but there are a lot of twits that would read something like that, upend the mower behind the garage and dump the gas. Same as they do with oil when they do an oil chance on the car.

It occurs to me after reading the thread title about a million times each visit to SMC that it would be very hard for "everyone to forget how to syphon gas" if the majority never learned how to do it to begin with. "Back in the day" folks did things like that, but consider that pretty much every automobile produced in recent years has security measures to actually prevent syphoning and it's certainly not something that's likely covered in school either. I personally only ever did it once in my lifetime and I'm 62 years old...it was decades ago, too. That said, knowing how to syphon or not takes a backseat to knowing when and where "bad gas" can be a problem. Not many people know that either...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes, I know how to siphon...I also know how to spell it.

But no, I don't live in the woods.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Lee, apparently both your and my spelling is correct according to the spell checker. Gotta love English...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Lee, apparently both your and my spelling is correct according to the spell checker. Gotta love English...
    That's setting the bar pretty low, innit?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I am still back at the first post. Man cards? I knew I was missing something.

Where do I get one?
    Rick, to get a "Man Card" you need to do something really stupid that's starts with the statement "Hey, watch this, hold my beer", and it has to available on YouTube as a video.

Once your video is posted you'll receive your card..............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Rick, to get a "Man Card" you need to do something really stupid that's starts with the statement "Hey, watch this, hold my beer", and it has to available on YouTube as a video.

Once your video is posted you'll receive your card..............Rod.
    You can add to that distinction with a Darwin Award if that stupidity takes you out before you've procreated.

Damn!

I guess I have no choice, but to change my e-mail from grumpyrick to girlyboy. Anybody want to swap out my tool bag for a nice stylish man purse?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I'm fresh out'a man purses. Sorry

I got my Man Card. Although it's titled as a "Pass the gas permit".
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I got my Man Card. Although it's titled as a "Pass the gas permit".

I've been looking for a "Wet Farts" card. No luck so far.