Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Playing with the toys.

Snuck in a little over a hour late afternoon.

Got the tenons cut for the smaller stretchers. This should give me a good jumpstart on getting all joinery done on the base tomorrow. I’ll still have some odds and ends including either smoothing the all the pieces prior to assembly and or sandingthem? I also am putting a routed detail I guess a small cove on all four sides of all the legs.

The shoulder on these pieces almost is not there. It’s just enough to not not be there and hide any small potential tear out or chips from mortising.

Small shoulders.

90D3DC8A-902C-44E8-B210-19A0FA16E744.jpg

Another perfect fit cheating with the shaper and slot mortiser. I guess this should not be in the Neanderthal forum.

68F78A72-2817-4B85-9EE4-D4F63F686C53.jpg

CEA51AE0-18DA-4D7F-903D-86B8663AD4F5.jpg

ABCE936B-5904-44B3-8574-8F73D6170C24.jpg

I didn’t tenon the longer stretchers as the material was not close enough to the finished .5” thickness to think the pieces would stay flat if I was to bring them all the way down today. I left them oversized just enough I can take a pass on the jointer and run through the planer of needed tomorrow. If flat then just the planer. I left the shaper all setup to cut these four tenon first thing.

ABCE936B-5904-44B3-8574-8F73D6170C24.jpg

As it sits for now. Once I get building I have a hard time stopping. I could probably easily build this whole base with e material all prepped in one long marathon day. Good thing others require my attention or I’d never leave the shop I guess. I always torn and find it hard to stop working.

3BA32DAC-7735-45AD-93CC-1A857A60A5C3.jpg

Haha

All upside down.

I tried lol..

Fail!

Hi Patrick, so very sorry for your loss. I know how much you loved that dog and had already been through so much. Glad to see your doing some fine cabinet work, I’m sure your dog is right there by your side.

Take care,
    Kevin

Good to hear from you Kevin,

Only cried once today over six hours spent in the shop. Not bad, I welcome tears though, she deserves them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Adams View Post
    Hi Patrick, so very sorry for your loss. I know how much you loved that dog and had already been through so much. Glad to see your doing some fine cabinet work, I’m sure your dog is right there by your side.

Take care,
    Kevin

It was a Pink Floyd kinda shop day today. Often Pink Floyd days end up being very very good days for me.

Started with this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q6vOY8QLbK4

Then Some of this.

http://www.tagtele.com/videos/voir/95575/

And ended with this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oE0TAd1uju8

Only got six hours in.

I spend three hours with my dog this morning. One hour driving around, he loves ridingin the car. Then a two hour walk one of which ended up in the rain. I love accepting the elements and not letting them get in the way of enjoying time outside. It’s so easy to become soft. Often I look out the window say “ah no it’s terrible out there forget it” normally if you just get out it’s really not that bad. Sometimes I find bad weather to be fun.

I was hopeful I’d get all the M&T work done today but that did not happen. I spent quite a good deal of time mucking around with where exactly to place the stretchers.

All in all I cut and fitted eight M&T no mishaps so I’ll take it. Tow more rails to fit “the front and back” and the joiner for the base is done.

CD658AD9-9104-4493-8C94-EB5C0174DD27.jpg

BA6C4AB6-A627-42AF-93DA-6945E2440643.jpg

32A90560-4885-440E-AD2C-E95B9D6D7719.jpg

D4D71EEF-9D94-48B8-8679-66CE7EC7F2B9.jpg

270DE608-ADA1-4178-88BB-8441BD40BC03.jpg

7C6261A3-D4DC-447E-A748-6126EB6F22DD.jpg

Oh and I just love my Peter Ross holdfast.

Same with the Kiyohisa nomi. The pairing chisels are fairly new and this is really the first chance I have gotten to use them. Man working with high quality tools someone saught perfection in creating and obtained sure makes it that much more easy to put the same effort into your own work.

Clearly I have a long way to go till I attain the kinda skill the two above makers have obtained but man is it nice working with nice tools.

You have quite the shop there, Patrick, some nice tools and crisp work.

Kevin

As you suggested Kevin you should visit.

I’m off work from the 22nd of December-Jan 6th. Gotta use up all the vacation time i did not take this year.

Bring that slab and if we can’t sort it out in my shop you can come use our new 24” Scmi planer and my 20” Martin jointer at work. Might as well throw it through the wide-belt for you while we are at it.

Oh and as you can see my shop is kinda my pride and joy, well that and my garden and Bonsai.

my
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Adams View Post
    You have quite the shop there, Patrick, some nice tools and crisp work.

Kevin

Just found this picture. I was wondering where it was when i posted pictures earlier.

It gives a clear idea of what I have to show for my efforts over the weekend. What I would give for back to back 10-12hr days on this project. It’s never gonna happen though so I should just get it out of my head.

Leg assemblies are maybe 1/64th out of square from each other. Not bad, I fight square work “at work” all the time. You gotta love the results of properly layed out joinery vrs pocket screws mitem wraps with packaging tape and cope and stick everything.

9D1FC45F-FEDF-4347-8192-30D6156E0A68.jpg

Nothing like work to impede progress..

I found a few hours today to make the remaining apron pieces and stretchers.

Everything for the base is dry fit now.

I hope to find the time tomorrow to clean all the pieces with a smoother tomorrow and get everything glued and in clamps.

The picture with the yellow board clamped to the base is the original piece of figured yellowheart that inspired the project to begin with.

I don’t have enough of it to make the project in solid wood. To be honest I probably don’t have enough to make thenupper case with it even if I could stomach sawing it into veneer.

My intention is to use hidden dovetails to join the carcass pieces of the case. I have never cut them before. When I do find the time to build something for the sake of building something I like to try something new and learn something. I also just want the grain to flow around the box. I miter wrap stuff all the time at work with package tape and often no joinery not even biscuit. Sometimes I’ll use dominoes but not often. To be honest I’m not much a fan of either for my personal work as neither offer a challenge or opportunity to learn and slow down the brain.

Last stretchers finished

60EFF5E4-1DF1-45B5-9F66-2805B6A6F9F3.jpg

I have had this thing together and apart probably forty times. I smacked my finger with a hammer in the same place I did last week attaching a top apron piece to a leg. A blood blister atop a blood blister.

0E2226DD-A54A-4053-8BE8-26DDA561726F.jpg

820E206E-74E4-4BD8-8B88-0A1650B1FEFB.jpg

A13926AA-9A30-49C7-95EA-0FAC1AA6D9FD.jpg

Everything together.

Front right

1CF5C7EA-B2CD-4604-B1FD-23D0812A1E40.jpg

Front left

4F3DB43D-A2EE-4998-B4B8-CCC9109D3545.jpg

Back right

7429D51A-D95B-4FCF-A031-4DED129174A8.jpg

1EC17A4C-B779-4C1D-8F36-CA8AD7C5E4ED.jpg

Front

1EC17A4C-B779-4C1D-8F36-CA8AD7C5E4ED.jpg

With yellowheart. I’ll probably source some figured satinwood for the upper case. Should only cost me a organ but you only live once.

761A7D58-E025-4666-8767-9EEF05C23452.jpg

Blog Entries
    Nearly done, Patrick!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Ahg,

Well not ahg, but not even close to done.

I just gave a hand with the blue steel Yokoyama smoother and no dice for the most part. Obviously I practiced on a scrap, made sure of grain orientation and had a perfectly sharp blade. I still got enough unpredictable tear out to say just sand the dam piece Patrick. Sanding feels like sacrilege to me building for fun though so I’m kinda bummed.

I could try the LN #4 and see what I get?

But no I’m not even close to done. I still gotta make the top case and the box that goes inside the case. Then I gotta apply finish. I’d say at the rate I work with the time I have availible each additional box should take about a month. Maybe more?

Should land me smack back in Bonsai/gardening season not to mention home repairs. I have yet to show you guys the front porch and walkway I have torn off my house and barely finished framing.

I have waaaay to many things going on. I do projects like this to keep sane as I’m so busy I could never sit down or do a dam thing I actually wanted to do unless I forced it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Nearly done, Patrick!