Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on concrete room

Question on concrete room

I have acquired a shop space that is a room inside a much larger building. The room in question is about 30' x 30' (Not sure as I haven't measured it yet), and the entire room - ceiling, walls, and floor - are concrete. The problem is, the building is not climate controlled, so there is no A/C in summer nor heat in winter. The paint that had been used is all peeling off everywhere. Is there anything I can apply to the concrete surfaces that won't fall off in this space and won't cost a ton of money? I'm asking not just for myself, but for the owner of the building, who would like to find something to use in all the other spaces of the building.

My guess is sandblasting would be the first step. I hope this works out well for you.

Why? die or stain should not peel.
    Bil lD

Have you talked to the experts at a paint store like Benjamin Moore for a recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Have you talked to the experts at a paint store like Benjamin Moore for a recommendation?
    No, there aren't any paint stores around here. All we have is a Lowe's and Walmart. The nearest Home Depot is almost an hour away. I'm in a very rural area.

I don't know much about painting concrete other than it's often problematical and expert help might be well worth the effort. Sherwin Williams and PPG have stores in Wheeling and may be able to help.

I do have some experience with all concrete shops. They are VERY LOUD. I taught woodshop in a concrete shop for seven years. I ended up with a significant hearing loss and a state industrial claim that resulted in the state of Washington being on the hook for my hearing aids for the rest of my life. Wear your hearing protection.
    Last edited by Dave Cav; 11-25-2018 at 2:19 PM.

The paint may be coming off because of moisture moving through the walls in which case more paint isn't going to behave any differently. It could be peeling because of compatibility issues or a combination of the two. One time a building engineer should be consulted.

One way to test for moisture moving thru the wall as Peter suggests may be the problem is to tape a patch of vapor barrier to the wall and see if moisture forms on the wall side of it after a few days.

Blog Entries
    One way to test for moisture moving thru the wall as Peter suggests may be the problem is to tape a patch of vapor barrier to the wall and see if moisture forms on the wall side of it after a few days.
    That'll work, but moisture issues are often seasonal, so what may be dry now, might not be 6 months from now.

I wonder if spraying drywall mud with a texture gun would work? It would allow any moisture to pass through. It's not at all washable, but at least it's lighter than the concrete. The old paint would have to come off first.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    That'll work, but moisture issues are often seasonal, so what may be dry now, might not be 6 months from now.

I wonder if spraying drywall mud with a texture gun would work? It would allow any moisture to pass through. It's not at all washable, but at least it's lighter than the concrete. The old paint would have to come off first.
    Agree, the moisture may be seasonal. Drywall mud might be ok on the ceiling (lot's of builders spray ceilings and don't paint) but I don't think it would be durable enough for the walls. Not a big fan of it unpainted on the ceiling either.

What is the point of painting. is it to make it look pretty or is to stop moisture. people still whitewash as paint inside. It can be sprayed by a drywall mud rig for not much cost. Any leaks will wash it away fairly quick.
    Bil lD.

How long do you expect to be in this space? The building owner's development will be a success or a failure. Either case could force you out so keep your eyes open before investing much.

As regards the building owner's solution, my uninformed reaction is to insulate the shell and provide heat and A/C before finishing the walls and ceilings.

Do you need all the space or can you install walls within it. Maybe temporary ones.

We could use a little more info.

Blog Entries
    Agree, the moisture may be seasonal. Drywall mud might be ok on the ceiling (lot's of builders spray ceilings and don't paint) but I don't think it would be durable enough for the walls. Not a big fan of it unpainted on the ceiling either.
    Yes, unpainted is far from optimal. My thought was something super cheap that would brighten up the concrete while allowing the moisture to escape.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    As regards the building owner's solution, my uninformed reaction is to insulate the shell and provide heat and A/C before finishing the walls and ceilings.
    If you know you'll have the space for a while, this is the solution. A/C may be a problem if you don't have an exterior wall to dump the heat out. If you do, a mini-split would be ideal.

You could use something like drylock or any good concrete sealer with a color in it