Thread: Two part question: plane type identification and performance inquiry.

Two part question: plane type identification and performance inquiry.

Recently picked up two old Stanley planes at an antique shop for $20, as for the first no. 5 I am curious as to the typing and year made. For the second I have been told before by others that this "no. 4" is not really a sought after plane as it is when Stanley cheapened their line, simply wondering if it will still preform well enough or if it's not worth the restoration at all as I bought these for use and don't really care about collectability. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your #5 looks like a Type 19, 1948-1961. The rounded top of the iron indicates perhaps the second half of that period. Should be a good user for you. The other one--you won't be nearly as happy with that later model plane. But you can't hurt it if you want to practice your refurbishment skills.

I don't think that's a Stanley. Not sure what it is, but it does not look like a Stanley.

Yep, mid 60s Stanley. About the same time as the made in England ones were coming over here. Stanley added those ribs, to keep the sole a bit flatter. Post 1962, due to the lateral lever. May have been when Stanley was going between BLUE and CORDOVAN for colours..

No. 5 looks to be a type 17? Was made before the "Whale Tail" era. I have a Stanley No. 5-1/2, type 17.....very nice plane.
    IMAG0050.jpg
    Very first thing I did, was strip that black paint off of the handles..
    IMAG0051.jpgIMAG0052.jpgIMAG0057.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mason Schultz View Post
    Recently picked up two old Stanley planes at an antique shop for $20, as for the first no. 5 I am curious as to the typing and year made. For the second I have been told before by others that this "no. 4" is not really a sought after plane as it is when Stanley cheapened their line, simply wondering if it will still preform well enough or if it's not worth the restoration at all as I bought these for use and don't really care about collectability. Thanks!
    Howdy Mason and welcome to the world of plane anxiety.

It is possible both of those planes can become fine performers. My preference is for planes made in the 1880s to the mid 1920s. This allows me to use them with a short knob instead of the tall knob once a ring around the base was added to the castings. The rosewood handles on the pre-war planes is also to my liking.

The two planes you have may clean up to be perfectly good users. Later if you find a plane that is a bit better you can always turn one of them into a scrub plane or use it for rough work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I agree they both can be decent users. It all in the tuning. The newer Stanley's took a bit more tuning, but once tuned they work.

I suppose my no. 5 is prewar then because it has the rosewood handles!IMG_20181122_143236.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mason Schultz View Post
    I suppose my no. 5 is prewar then because it has the rosewood handles!
    As Greg mentioned, it is a type 19 made after the war.

Most rosewood handles from after the war have flat sides. The type 18 may have rounded sides. The type 18 was only made for a year or two. It is distinguishable by having diagonal knurling on the depth adjusters.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)