Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any suggestions for drill bits brands? Perhaps any Black Friday deals

Any suggestions for drill bits brands? Perhaps any Black Friday deals

In need of new bits. I have the standand assortment of Dewalt drill bits found at Home Depot. Little by little they are no longer sharp so time to replace. Any suggestions?

What sized set do you want and how much are you willing to spend, without a budget recommendations are going to be all over the place.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    What sized set do you want and how much are you willing to spend, without a budget recommendations are going to be all over the place.
    The standard set sizes from the big box stores work. I really do not have a budget in mind but I am a diy’er so I don’t want to break the bank either.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Also, what material(s) do you intend to drill? Here, the assumption is wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Pinzon View Post
    The standard set sizes from the big box stores work. I really do not have a budget in mind but I am a diy’er so I don’t want to break the bank either.
    For general purpose, around the house,use, I notice Ryobi, DeWalt, & Makita sets in (my paper's) Home Depot's Black Friday ad. I'm sure others do too.

For woodworking the Lee Valley brad-point bits are outstanding, though they run more.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    Also, what material(s) do you intend to drill? Here, the assumption is wood.

For general purpose, around the house,use, I notice Ryobi, DeWalt, & Makita sets in (my paper's) Home Depot's Black Friday ad. I'm sure others do too.

For woodworking the Lee Valley brad-point bits are outstanding, though they run more.
    it wood be wood but certainly there maybe situations where I may drill into metal. But for the sake of this post let’s assume wood.

In need of new bits. I have the standand assortment of Dewalt drill bits found at Home Depot. Little by little they are no longer sharp so time to replace. Any suggestions?
    I think a lot depends on what you want to drill and how often you use them. I drill wood, plastic, and a variety of metals on drill presses, milling machine, lathe, and with cordless hand drills. I probably have a dozen different sets in my drill bit and threading cabinet.

I bought two sets from different industrial suppliers that I keep at the drill presses. They are among the best quality bits I've ever used, and include sizes up to 1/2" by 64ths. They were over $100 a set. I don't remember the brand but I could go down and look if you want. What I have are similar to these but different brands:
    https://www.amazon.com/d/Jobber-Dril...tic/B00FXGOMIW

If you want cheap and good, I use the Bosch Ti18 titanium set around the farm and house, 18 bits from 1/16" to 1/2" in common sizes, 3/8" shank on the largest. When building my shop I drilled multiple holes in 3/8" steel with one bit. Handy case. I like them so much I bought several sets to have spares in the drawer, on sale or Amazon lightning deal when they were about $20.

I also keep a set similar this, extremely useful when I need special sizes - it has fractional, letter, and number sizes.
    https://www.amazon.com/Lapha-pieces-.../dp/B07KBY38L7

JKJ

it wood be wood but certainly there maybe situations where I may drill into metal. But for the sake of this post let’s assume wood.
    If I used your words to describe a need I was shopping for, I think I'd hit Home Depot, (I live blocks from one,) Friday afternoon after the crowds have died down a little to get a sale set of twist drills. From what I see in the ad, I'd be planning on the 14pc DeWalt set for ~$10, but would choose based on what's in stock. (I think I'd prefer Milwaukee, but none in the ad.) That would tide me over, until:

I'd also plan on getting a small to medium sized set of the LV brad-point drills, either HSS or HCS depending on budget, and a set of the HSS twist drills next time LV has free S/H. (If I got the HCS brad-point bits, I'd plan on replacing any I used enough to dull with single HSS bits in the future.)

Once I had the LV bits in hand, I'd downgrade the black friday set for rough work, (holes in sheet rock, studs, etc.), use the brad-points for nicer wood projects, and the LV twist drills for metal and other similar projects. But a lot of this (hypothetical) plan is based on my convenience. YMMV!

thank you. I will look into your advice

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I think a lot depends on what you want to drill and how often you use them. I drill wood, plastic, and a variety of metals on drill presses, milling machine, lathe, and with cordless hand drills. I probably have a dozen different sets in my drill bit and threading cabinet.

I bought two sets from different industrial suppliers that I keep at the drill presses. They are among the best quality bits I've ever used, and include sizes up to 1/2" by 64ths. They were over $100 a set. I don't remember the brand but I could go down and look if you want. What I have are similar to these but different brands:
    https://www.amazon.com/d/Jobber-Dril...tic/B00FXGOMIW

If you want cheap and good, I use the Bosch Ti18 titanium set around the farm and house, 18 bits from 1/16" to 1/2" in common sizes, 3/8" shank on the largest. When building my shop I drilled multiple holes in 3/8" steel with one bit. Handy case. I like them so much I bought several sets to have spares in the drawer, on sale or Amazon lightning deal when they were about $20.

I also keep a set similar this, extremely useful when I need special sizes - it has fractional, letter, and number sizes.
    https://www.amazon.com/Lapha-pieces-.../dp/B07KBY38L7

JKJ

Easy enough to sharpen by hand drills over 1/4". You could even buy the general drill grinder fixture which has been around for 70 years or more.
    Bill D.

For regular use, I have a set from DeWalt and a brad point set from HF. My best sets are from W. L. Fuller - brad points, plexi points, and taped point bits. I also have their countersinks and couterbores. Top flight quality.

Don't hate on me for it - - but - - I buy a package of 1/8" bits from Harbor Freight every time I see them on sale.
    Far and away, 1/8" is the size I use most often & I find I usually break a bit before it gets to the point of being dull and/or the junk I usually drill through will dull a good bit just as fast as it will a junk bit. Stuff like drywall for example..
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I’ve been buying these sets at Lowe’s for $19.95 and usually buy two at a time. They work well enough for general purpose metal and wood drilling in cordless drill or drill press. They sell them under the Skill brand and the Hitachi brand. Best I can tell they are the same bits in different packaging. Two sets allows for broken bits and damaged or dull bits. You can sharpen them in the drill doctor or toss and replace as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/SKIL-98029-Ox.../dp/B004Q0NHV4

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hitachi-29-...Set/1000424433
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 11-24-2018 at 6:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Don't hate on me for it - - but - - I buy a package of 1/8" bits from Harbor Freight every time I see them on sale.
    Far and away, 1/8" is the size I use most often & I find I usually break a bit before it gets to the point of being dull and/or the junk I usually drill through will dull a good bit just as fast as it will a junk bit. Stuff like drywall for example..
    Yikes, this sounds odd. I can't remember the last time I broke an 1/8" bit and I do a fair amount of drilling, by hand, drill press, on the lathe. I broke a 1/16" bit a few months ago from being careless.

Just curious, are you drilling hand-held or with a drill press? In wood or metal?

I haven't tried any cheap bits - I wonder if that makes a difference.

HJE has USA - made Norseman sets for as little as $13 https://www.harryepstein.com/index.p...rill-bits.html

Carbide Processors also has Triumph sets for a bit more money http://www.carbideprocessors.com/tri...actional-sizes

China drill bits are ideal for special egg-shaped holes.

Just curious, are you drilling hand-held or with a drill press? In wood or metal?
    - Yes! ......honestly, it all depends on the task at hand. I broke all my "Good" (DeWalt, Milwaukee, Craftsman, Black and Decker) 1/8" bits somewhere along the line over the years and just figured I'd go with the cheap ones. No doubt is due to a lot of misuse/abuse - such as drilling a 1/4" hole in something by using a 1/8" bit and a lot of wiggling it around. That happens a lot with hollow wall anchors in drywall.
    There's also a good sized chunk of "putting it down while I change from a drill bit to a driver bit & walking away after and forgetting where I out it"... (much rather lose a half worn out $.09 bit than a good one)
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...