Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the ideal outfeed table length for a table saw

What is the ideal outfeed table length for a table saw

What is the ideal outfeed table length for a table saw

What are the longest pieces you rip? Table should be long enough so that at least half of your longest piece is supported when you finish your cut. Also depends on how much room you have and whether you want some extra work or assembly surface.

For me, it is the longest rips you normally make minus the distance from the back of the blade to the back of the saw top divided by 2. For me I just use a 5' table so rips of near 11' are still balanced, it also allows for using a 5' wide piece of laminate to cover the top of the outfeed table.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

As long as your longest board so about 16' for most folks. Of course you also need that much in front of the blade.
    Bill D.
    Edit; most folks have to compromise from ideal.

A bit less than 4' seems good to me. It will hold a sheet of ply from tipping after being ripped. For the times I rip long boards (seldom), I add a sawhorse. Mine is 2' wide and 4' long, on wheels so it can be moved back or sideways as needed.

It is not my assembly table, although I have been known to use it that way when needed.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 11-22-2018 at 3:15 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    My outfeed / assembly table is 4' X 6.5' and that works good for me.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

It's probably more about what you have room for than anything. Mine extends 24" and is 48" wide centered on the blade and handles 99% of what I cut. For the remaining 1%, I have a 36"x60" assembly table 24" from the outfeed table beveled at the end set at a height that supports about anything I could feed through the saw.

Being space challenged I built a folding outfeed table for my Unisaw. It’s 40” when extended by 36” wide. Bigger is better of course, and I have never ripped a 16’ long board but this size has worked well for me.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Not exactly an easy question to answer, as every situation is different. Mine is about 3’, but i’ll put a Ridgid flip top stand to catch boards longer than about 6’. I don’t have the room to have a 5’ deep outfeed table.

I dont know. sheet stock one thing solid another., my set up was fine for sheet stock more or less, then doing 16 foot facia boards it wasnt so horses with a beam on them or a stand with a piece of masonite on it worked fine. Id say you could have an outfeed table then hinge part of it and just fold it up if and when you need it, or something that ads on like those Aigner accessories but make one from scrap. stuff slides well enough on masonite and doesnt track like it can on rollers that are not aligned perfectly.

Long enough so that whatever you rip doesn't fall off the edge....

OK that wasn't much help. I don't generally rip anything longer than 10 feet, so a little more than five feet from the arbor of my table saw to the edge of the outfeed table would be ideal. In reality it's closer to four feet, which works 99% of the time for me.

I dont have any, no real need with my SLR or my greenlee with a feeder, I just walk around and grab the piece.

I have 38” on the outfeed side, I also have a 1 3/8” x. 30” wide x 80” long solid core door I can quickly attach, the near end screws to the underside of the tablesaw table with four screws and I made a simple set of H shaped legs I attach to the door before I attach it to the saw table.
    I use it when ripping stock that over 16’ long , IF I have a LOT of 16’ stock to run I’ll attach the long outfeed table , if it’s under five pieces 16’ long, I can gut it thru without the longer table.

CB10FDE8-93DE-4248-A6A6-3402836D1DA9.jpg

You guys just need a power feeder, no need for anything when having to rip any thing. I don't cut anything on the TS without using the feeder.

I was gonna welcome you to the Creek, since this is your first post, then I noticed you have been here over 5 years.

Belated welcome, I hope it doesn't take that long for post #2.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.