Thread: Ideas needed for large block of wood

Ideas needed for large block of wood

Today I picked up a piece glue lam that measures 6 3/4" x 18" x 31". It's a lot larger than I ever realized. Was thinking of making a small woodworking bench out of it. Any better ideas?

One of the challenges you'll have using it for a work surface is keeping it splinter-free...so for that use, I'd consider it for the mass, but put a 1/4" hardboard "topper" on it for the actual work surface. Band the edge with solid stock to hold the hardboard in place and that way it's easily replaceable when it gets worn.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Whipple View Post
    Today I picked up a piece glue lam that measures 6 3/4" x 18" x 31". It's a lot larger than I ever realized. Was thinking of making a small woodworking bench out of it. Any better ideas?

It’s to small for a work bench IMO. A chopping block in a kitchen , if the kitchen where large enough , either on a rolling stand , or some stout timber style legs.

But It would be more suited for a bench top drill press stand , or a grinder / sharpening station, preferably attached to a wall in your shop. Or some other stationary small tool stand.

This stand is 3 1/2” T x 24” D x 44” L.

Nice and solid.

2107ABDC-B087-4347-8C8B-43467D6AB81C.jpg

This ones a piece of solid core door , 1 3/4” T x 15” x 18” ish, I didn’t measure it.

FA0F35DD-E82E-46F2-8756-8EFFA942051A.jpg

My lathe table is a 1 3/4” solid core door. I didn’t take a photo of it, the back edge is attached to the wall , it has 2x4 legs on the front side and a shelf underneath.

Put it away until the day you have a project that calls for material of that size. I would probably end up using something like that to make a set of chunky legs. P

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    A chopping block in a kitchen ,
    No way would I want a glue lam in contact with food...

I do agree that it's too small for a "primary" bench for most folks, but certainly is usable for an auxiliary bench where the 18" width isn't a problem.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Grinder station idea nailed it. All that mass to counter vibrations and nothing fancy to worry about getting metal dust and rust on. One end for sharpening after grinding.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    No way would I want a glue lam in contact with food...

I do agree that it's too small for a "primary" bench for most folks, but certainly is usable for an auxiliary bench where the 18" width isn't a problem.

Sand the top, apply chopping block oil, it’s just wood and a bit of glue. Maple butcher blocks glued together, I wouldn’t worry about cutting food on a glue lam, but I’ve sucked more construction dust and dirt . Lived on a aircraft carrier for close to four years , and eaten food that broken the five second rule my whole life, maybe I’ve developed a super human immune system, people that don’t expose themselves to stuff tend to end up sick or allergic to a lot of stuff.

My father used a piece of redwood found by the side of the road to raise his drill press about 8 inches. I think it is about 18" square by 6" thick.
    Bill D.

First thing that popped into my head was an entry table or something similar.It's the perfect length and width. And with that thickness you could probably make a nice arch.