Thread: Thoughts on Gel Stains?

Thoughts on Gel Stains?

I'm sure many of you have used gel stains before. How well does it take to milled and sanded construction grade pine? Would I need a conditioner? I seems like I wouldn't but I don't know for sure. I'm obviously trying to avoid the blotching. I'll be using an ebony, so I'm not sure if it even matters.

Thanks and Happy Thankgiving.

Michael, since no one has chimed in yet, I’ll give you my limited experience. One of the benefits of gel stain is that it is a surface pigment, so theoretically it will minimize blotching and cover over varying coloration in the wood (sap vs heart wood). I would not think you would need a conditioner when using it, although I don’t think a conditioner will hurt. I’m not a fan of the stuff, as it can also hide grain. I have used it primarily like a glaze.

As always, get some cut offs from your project and do some tests.

My experience with it is also limited. I didn't need any conditioner on pine or poplar. But I really didn't like the look at all - it was sorta like paint. Might be I was just too dumb to figure out how to use it though, because many people love that stuff.

If you are doing a black finish, another no-blotching way is to use India Ink. Buy it from an art supply or online.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The only time I used a gel stain, it completely obliterated the grain of the wood. That might not be such a bad thing if you are working with a wood that has unattractive grain but I will never use it again on pretty wood. A wood conditioner is unnecessary and would probably have no effect anyway in my experience.

My advice is to always try a new finish type on scrap wood to make sure it is the look you want.

Here’s a link to a bench I made a while back with only Minwax Gel stain, nothing before hand. Did a top coat of spar eurethane. Used some cheapo construction grade lumber from Home Depot.

https://instagram.com/p/BbPu-QRFtXj/

I'll definitely run some tests. You guys are correct, if it blocks the grain too much, might as well paint.

I just noticed PopWood has a reprint: Glazing for the Ages, by Glen Huey, download on extended Cyber-Monday sale for $1. I thought that might be interesting as that's one technique for using Gel Stain.

I have only ever used gel stains for staining carvings or as a glaze.

By itself it will not eliminate blotching. You can undercoat with shellac or polyurethane and apply it as a glaze see how that works.

Pine is not a friendly wood to try to stain so you will need to experiment. Maybe try Charles Neils blotch control. (cn-woodworking.com).