Thread: Installing Metal Inserts for Wood

Installing Metal Inserts for Wood

I used some 5/16" and 3/8" metal inserts for threads on this project/jig not long ago. It was in soft wood.They worked out fine.

Now I need to put some 5/16"-18 in some oak on this same project.Ive tried drilling different sizes on the holes but I always pull the insert out when backing the guide bolt out...

Im using this method and it worked fine in the soft wood...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIhEqoKE8Dc

Im ready to finish this up. Help!!

Blog Entries
    I noted two things in the video. First, I always installed the threaded inserts with the slotted part toward the driving nut. Second, Note that when he wants to leave the insert in the wood he first releases the locking nut on his driver while holding the driving shaft still. This allows him to remove the threaded tool, leaving the insert in the wood. Should the insert back out slightly you can use a flat screw driver and the provided slot to set it back flush. Hole size is critical. Too small and it won't go in, too large and it won't have good grip.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Drill and Tap the Hole

Use a 17/64 or "F" drill bit and tap the hole when you've drilled it. You can glue the insert in if you think you need to.

Hard wood usually requires a different insert than those for soft wood because the threads that cut into the wood are finer for the hardwood. I use metric inserts, and the threads that cut into the wood have a different pitch and require a different pilot hole. I keep a good stock of M5 inserts for soft and hard wood.

Here are some 5/16-18 inserts from McMaster-Carr:

Brass 5/8-inch long - use 1/2-inch drill

Steel 0.709-inch long - use 29/64-inch drill

Steel 1.181-inch long - use 15/32-inch drill