Thread: Pyrography Tools

Pyrography Tools

I have been using a small pyrography pen, not much more than glorified soldering iron, for a few years now, and am not happy with it. My family has decided to chip in together and buy me a nice unit for Christmas. I cannot decide on which unit to get. I've looked at the Optima 1 Dual units, but can't seem to find a dealer. I'm leaning towards that unit or a Razortip with dual outputs.
    What are your thoughts and recommendations for a nice unit for under $200. I would like at least 3 pens so am looking for a kit if possible.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I plan to follow this thread to learn more.

I bought a glorified soldering iron and I find it hard and a little unnatural to have so much overhang - - like trying to write with a pen and having 3 or 4 inches sticking out in front of my fingers.

Lately I have been experimenting with a much stubbier burning tip. It is home made. I use a variac and a step down transformer. IIRC, I'm using 20 ga. Kanthal wire. I think that my home made setup is similar to a razor tip. I got some hints on Youtube. If you enjoy making things, take a look at some of the youtube videos.

I have the Colwood "Cub" model. It has been great, interchangeable tips, heats up fast, maintains it's temp and no complaints. But it is about 20 years old, my model no longer exists. I also have a Walnut Hollow Versa Tool, the soldering iron version with adjustable thermostat. Great reviews by Lora Irish a professional, and I will say a good tool. It is not a Colwood, but for the money I like it. But I prefer my Cub.

I have several different models including your model of choice but I prefer the Burnmaster. The whole kit price may be higher than you want to spend.

Lot of good info on this site - http://m.sawdustconnection.com/app/p...ge/5214291/36/ including reviews. This site has been around for several years and, while I have not purchased from them, they seem to have a good rep.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Amazon has a Coolwood set right at @200

I have the Burnmaster. However if buying today I would buy the Optima. I use his pens an they are by far the best IMO. I only have the single pen and other than convenience the dual pen is not that important to me. You can buy from PJL http://www.carvertools.com/
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Steve - I bought the Optima 1 dual unit about 5 years ago and have been very pleased with it. I remember someone on line had listed and reviewed most of the available units and of course I can no longer find that document. You might get some info from web sites such as suewalters.com. My pyography is not "high end" but it can enhance some projects. Will try to attach a picture of a coaster for a wine bottle I did for a fisherman friend.
    IMG_0167.jpg

The unit was about $200 at Craft Supplies, but I found it a little less on another site. Craft Supplies met the other price and at the time it qualified for free shipping so it was a pretty good deal. The pens are about $20 each. Other than that I would echo Brice's suggestion re Youtube and you might find something on eBay. Cheers, Dave

Steve,
    I just bought the single pen Optima 1 system ($77) from PJL Enterprizes with HD pen cord ($12) and two bowl beading pens with extra grips that run the entire length of the pen ($31 ea.). The tips are not interchangeable which is OK with me. I'll be trying my hand at basket illusion beading after watching Harvey Meyer's excellent You Tube videos where he mentioned the Optima 1.
    There are other systems as others have mentioned. The delivery by PJL was within a week but Pat is a bit foul-mouthed which is not appropriate as others have experienced in the linked review mentioned earlier by John Keeton. We'll see how my Optima One Performs as I'm new to pyrography but at the lower price compared with other systems I decided to try it.
    I appreciate the information that Creeker members/contributors willingly offer and have learned a lot from them. Thanks everyone!
    Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Lundgren; 11-22-2018 at 1:08 PM.

what one artist uses

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    I have been using a small pyrography pen, not much more than glorified soldering iron, for a few years now, and am not happy with it. My family has decided to chip in together and buy me a nice unit for Christmas. I cannot decide on which unit to get. I've looked at the Optima 1 Dual units, but can't seem to find a dealer. I'm leaning towards that unit or a Razortip with dual outputs.
    What are your thoughts and recommendations for a nice unit for under $200. I would like at least 3 pens so am looking for a kit if possible.
    I tried the inexpensive "soldering iron" type and it was a horrible experience, made me give up woodburning before I even really got started. I have others l now, far better. (If you want I can look at the brand next time I go to the shop. I bought extra handpieces and tips to fit from Woodcraft.)

Besides the commercial models, another option is to buy a kit developed by an artist. I got handpieces, some handmade tips, and a burner from Graeme Priddle. Much of the texturing he and Mel do is with a powerful burner. They make a variety of tips from wire, brass tubing, small nails and such - very creative. This was done with a piece of wire bent into a spiral:

priddle_bowl.jpg

Here is a blurb:
    http://graemepriddle.com/?page_id=466
    His burner is modified battery charger, might look clutzy but it's solid and unlike some powerful enough to handle thick wire and much larger tips.

The web site also has a gallery of photos if you are interested. It can create an entirely different look that what I've seen from other woodburning artists and in my woodburning books. BTW, If you don't have any a book or two can also be inspiring. I have these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Pyrography-Wo.../dp/1565232585
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1903975379

If you ever get a chance to see one of his the Priddle demos or take a class it is truly inspiring. (IMO)

JKJ

You can buy Optima sets and accessories at

carvertools.com

I have contacted this site and they are very helpful. Tell them what you want to do and/or what problems you have encountered. I think they will give you some advice on what to buy. Of course, they will recommend their products but they will help you pick out the right tips and set for your needs.

12. I do a fair amount of burning and use the Burnmaster with capacity for 2 pens. I used to use a Detail Master but it died and the company is out of business. I still have some of their pens.