Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebay fiber laser, I'll be the guinea pig--

FWIW to anyone-- Biz is better than ever, but--

I have jobs on both fibers almost always with more jobs in queue-- and I'm having to break down running jobs to get smaller jobs out, which is getting annoying--

So I just ordered my second ebay laser-- same seller, same machine only this one is a cabinet model... It'll be here Friday

newfiber3.jpg

3 fibers and counting...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Hi Kev,
    I was wondering if you would post or PM me the ebay seller you are buying from?
    I looks like you bought it from a USA seller?
    The only 30w fiber lasers that looked like yours, seem to be selling for $5k+
    Have you ever tried marking on Santoprene, it is a rubbery material?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Most of the machines are in California, not sure where the person/people I've been conversing with thru ebay are physically located, but their dialect is definitely far-eastern!

go to ebay, search "30w fiber laser", then choose "north america" on the left side...

Umm --- okay, never mind, these things must be selling like free beer! --yesterday I missed out on the 'last one' that wasn't a cabinet model, but some cabinet models were advertised-- this morning there were like 8 or 9 identical ads, all different sellers, but all machines priced almost the same (within pennies) and all located in California... By the time I ordered mine today from 'my' seller IT was the 'last one'...

I just checked ebay to get a screenshot to show you, and there's nothing to show you! They're all gone! All that's there now are the $5k and up machines like you said... Wish I could sell stuff that quick!

"my" seller: yufann8_6 --hopefully him/these guys are going to restock...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Most of the machines are in California, not sure where the person/people I've been conversing with thru ebay are physically located, but their dialect is definitely far-eastern!

go to ebay, search "30w fiber laser", then choose "north america" on the left side...

Umm --- okay, never mind, these things must be selling like free beer! --yesterday I missed out on the 'last one' that wasn't a cabinet model, but some cabinet models were advertised-- this morning there were like 8 or 9 identical ads, all different sellers, but all machines priced almost the same (within pennies) and all located in California... By the time I ordered mine today from 'my' seller IT was the 'last one'...

I just checked ebay to get a screenshot to show you, and there's nothing to show you! They're all gone! All that's there now are the $5k and up machines like you said... Wish I could sell stuff that quick!

"my" seller: yufann8_6 --hopefully him/these guys are going to restock...

Are you using a separate computer for each laser? also does the ezcad software on the laser you are buying let you run windows 10? hopefully I will be getting busy also to the point where I can buy another machine!

Alpha Laser-150w
    yag laser welder
    Laser Star-80w yag laser welder
    Laser Marking Technologies
    Marksman Dominator-50w galvo fiber-raycus
    Miller Snycrowave 350 LX
    C
    erakote applicator
    Clausing-8520 milling machine
    South Bend-Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    FWIW to anyone-- Biz is better than ever, but--

I have jobs on both fibers almost always with more jobs in queue-- and I'm having to break down running jobs to get smaller jobs out, which is getting annoying--

So I just ordered my second ebay laser-- same seller, same machine only this one is a cabinet model... It'll be here Friday

newfiber3.jpg

3 fibers and counting...
    Congrats on all of the work!! Keep us updated on the new machine.
    Universal 60w VLS6.60 w/ rotary
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Tony South View Post
    Are you using a separate computer for each laser? also does the ezcad software on the laser you are buying let you run windows 10? hopefully I will be getting busy also to the point where I can buy another machine!
    YES on the needing separate computers-- now, you CAN run several machines from one computer, and several versions of EZcad BUT, you can only run instance of ANY EZcad at a time on any one computer, so it does you no good-- UNLESS you use a virtual machine, but I've tried that, and the USB capture confusion and cut-in-half resources wreaks havoc with running EZcad.

And according to the ad, software manual and all, this EZcad (2.14.10 I think it is) does work on Win10. I just wish I could run my Triumph with it
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 01-31-2019 at 12:40 AM.
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

This is likely a dumb question, and perhaps not the proper thread to pose it...but I see all these fibers work with Corel, but they typically run EZ CAD or similar. Is it accurate to say that they can import from Corel Draw, or can you actually send files to the laser via Corel?
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Hey all,
    New to the forum but you guys have been awesome for posting all your experiences for us newbies to learn from.

Wanting to buy the "ebay 2 laser" that Kev bought. It's the 30w fiber cabinet model. Wanting to know if Kev is still happy with the purchase aside from wanting a different lense. Any mechanical issues that required addressing in the time since it's been running.

For some back story, I'm in Texas and have a full time job in import logistics which pays the bills. I surely will have my work cut out learning the laser, hopefully with some help from the crew on here. On the software side my brother is a designer and works extensively in drawing/design programs like Cad and solidworks so that experience should be helpful.

Intend on engraving polymer, glock lowers and the like for aesthetics and grip (not for NFA items) as an added service to gunsmithing and hunting services. As most people know, to engrave serialized gun parts for customers as a business requires an FFL. Also know that you're not getting rich off this service alone.

I think the 30w fiber is a good fit for the job as a lot of folks offering this service are using a similar laser. If anyone thinks otherwise of that decision any input is welcome.

Thanks
    No lasers yet but looking to add one

Chris- your sig doesn't show a Chinese machine, but you're likely aware of how they 'work'; do the job in Corel, then dump it to the machine's software, which to most people is just the 'print driver'. EzCad is almost exactly the same thing, for the same reason; Chinese graphic software is simply a pain to work with. One big difference between C02 lasers and fiber lasers, is that C02 machine software *usually* includes a Corel plugin, which makes for a one-click download to the machine's program, whereas EzCad has no plugin-- but it's not a huge deal, you save your Corel work as a DXF and simply import it in EzCad. Same thing, just more button clicks

Tony- Yup, I'm happier than a blind dog in a butcher shop -- no surprises, machines are working great!

I just noticed the 'guy' I bought my machine from, and his (I assume) group of friends seem to have loaded up their California warehouse with more of these machines, there's several sellers with ads for the cabinet model, my seller has ONE of the desktop models, it's the only one I found- I recommend it over the cabinet ONLY because it comes with a 150 lens, the cab's come with the 220- it works fine, but if you're looking to deep engrave, the tighter lens will work better. I DO like the cabinet model, it's handy. And changing lenses is easy enough, which I plan to do myself if I can find a source!

And to address your gunsmithing goals, beware ATF agents with an agenda. I have a C&D on ATF stationary upstairs worth a negative quarter mil if I'm caught engraving ANYthing but slides, barrels divorced from receivers or stocks & such divorced from the rest of the firearm, without a gunsmithing license. Can't even engrave the side of a 12 guage. I'll leave it at that...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 03-07-2019 at 2:38 AM.
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

There is nothing that can send the file to the fiber besides ezccad, Corel is just used to export an ai file that ezcad can use.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions.

My goal is to learn how to use one of these before I even buy one, thereby reducing the learning curve.

My research and learning continues...
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

I am extremely interested in a machine like yours. I am hoping to post a couple of question here, and I hope you will be willing to answer them for the benifit of all. Yours is by far the best first hand account of an actual experience with these lasers that I have been able to find so far. The laser you have, or at least one of them seems to be this one now at 4K shipped?
    I am really curious if you have done any deep metal engraving with it yet, I know it takes a considerable number of passes to achieve a deep mark in Aluminum or stainless, I am mostly wondering if it is achievable and repeatable. I am also very curious as to if you have done any cutting of very thin metal with this, something like .008" thick stainless shim stock for example? Again I realize it will take multiple passes. Another thing that I see no mention of anywhere when researching these lasers is the total lack of guarding. I know it is more than a bit different than the Co2 lasers that I am so accustomed to but the complete lack of quarding honestly blows me away. It seems like an accident just waiting to happen, and I am curious about your thoughts on the subject. I also dont know if everyone wears safety goggles the whole time it is running or not. I have a small 1 stall garage so I would be in close proximity to it when it is running. I fully understand that scattered or non focused reflected light is not that energy dense, but it concerns me as I really enjoy my current ability to see with both eyes and would like to maintain my current 20/20 arrangement! One last question do the units you have purchased have a red laser that the galvo can use to draw an outline of the design before it is engraved? it seems like that would be an invaluable feature and I have seen it demonstrated in several videos but it is difficult to determine which imported units actually have the feature. Many seem to simply have two red dots that are aligned or overlapped to set the correct focal length. Thanks for taking the time to time to outline your experience here for all to see, I for one appreciate it!
    Last edited by Mike Null; 03-15-2019 at 5:52 PM. Reason: removed ebay link
    30w eBay fiber laser
    Axiom Precision AR4 Pro CNC router
    40W CO2 Laser
    CNC Lathe
    Vinyl Cutter
    Roland Eco Solvent Printer
    Anycubic Photon
    Corel X7
    some other stuff I dont want my wife to find out about

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor HinzeNE View Post
    I am extremely interested in a machine like yours. I am hoping to post a couple of question here, and I hope you will be willing to answer them for the benifit of all. Yours is by far the best first hand account of an actual experience with these lasers that I have been able to find so far. The laser you have, or at least one of them seems to be this one now at 4K shipped?

I am really curious if you have done any deep metal engraving with it yet, I know it takes a considerable number of passes to achieve a deep mark in Aluminum or stainless, I am mostly wondering if it is achievable and repeatable. I am also very curious as to if you have done any cutting of very thin metal with this, something like .008" thick stainless shim stock for example? Again I realize it will take multiple passes. Another thing that I see no mention of anywhere when researching these lasers is the total lack of guarding. I know it is more than a bit different than the Co2 lasers that I am so accustomed to but the complete lack of quarding honestly blows me away. It seems like an accident just waiting to happen, and I am curious about your thoughts on the subject. I also dont know if everyone wears safety goggles the whole time it is running or not. I have a small 1 stall garage so I would be in close proximity to it when it is running. I fully understand that scattered or non focused reflected light is not that energy dense, but it concerns me as I really enjoy my current ability to see with both eyes and would like to maintain my current 20/20 arrangement! One last question do the units you have purchased have a red laser that the galvo can use to draw an outline of the design before it is engraved? it seems like that would be an invaluable feature and I have seen it demonstrated in several videos but it is difficult to determine which imported units actually have the feature. Many seem to simply have two red dots that are aligned or overlapped to set the correct focal length. Thanks for taking the time to time to outline your experience here for all to see, I for one appreciate it!
    Quick summary for now as work is beaconing

--The machine in your link- Identical to my ebay1 desktop, and same EXACT seller-
    'the group' of sellers I speak of, easy to tell who they are: Any similar fiber laser who's 'item location' is shown to be Ontario California, they're all the same machines...
    --Caveat Emptor moment: I should point out that the scanhead on these machines, which accepts the not-typical lens I can't find to buy another one of, is not the same as *most* machines, and sell for around $200 less than the 'typical' ones if buying outright. Some may consider it an 'inferior' scanhead, But I've found zero issues with them so far.
    --Deep engraving- same results or better than my 2-1/2 year old Triumph. Getting the results you want takes practice and patience. I'm still practicing
    -- guarding- I engraved my finger once with ebay1, it stings -- I've also been hit in the face more than once with heat from the laser reflecting off curved materials (fiber and C02), so some laser-proof glasses are recommended. I've passed my arm thru a running fiber beam 3 times that I know of (accidentally), never felt anything due to out of focus. Only reason I knew I did it was the laser stopped making noise. Personally I don't feel full guarding is needed, but yes to protective glasses...

so much for quick summary

>edit< -- cutting metals-- I myself haven't been successful whatsoever at cutting anything but tin foil with these things. I know others have, but I haven't had the time to figure it out- or the need really. My problem is I haven't found a cut routine to keep the slag buildup from damming up the works, kinda like trying to cut thru 1/2" plex with a 40w C02 where you end up just going over and over and never getting deeper...
    Last edited by Mike Null; 03-15-2019 at 5:53 PM.
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Awesome, thanks so much for once taking the time away from work to answer my questions. I am seriously interested in getting one, and I could likely also make a lens adapter so that is not out of the question. I assumed the deep engraving that they show on youtube along with the cutting ws not as easy to achieve as they make it seem. I am also interested in a slightly different technology marketed as a MOPA fiber laser that allows for colored annealing of stainless steel. It looks extremely interesting in the videos even if it would be a bit of a niche.......I also suspect that it is not easy at all to come up with a recipe that works reliably for that either!
    30w eBay fiber laser
    Axiom Precision AR4 Pro CNC router
    40W CO2 Laser
    CNC Lathe
    Vinyl Cutter
    Roland Eco Solvent Printer
    Anycubic Photon
    Corel X7
    some other stuff I dont want my wife to find out about

Hey Kev, think I've found the manufacturer of the laser and they have the lens. They just messaged me back saying they could sell us a pair. I sent you a PM so we can discuss directly.