Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Ebay fiber laser, I'll be the guinea pig--

Enter what you want, it won't hurt or change much of anything -on all 3 of my EzCad's the freq settings came with the range set at 20-200kz. If you enter a value outside this range, you'll get an error message. Aside from that, if you enter a value lower or higher than the laser's actual minimum or maximum freq output, nothing happens other than the laser outputs at it's upper or lower limit.

What ARE the actual limits, who knows? Many on this forum have said that the lowest frequency possible is equal to the wattage of the laser source; 20w laser gets you down to 20kH, 50w, 50 kHz... True or not, I haven't a clue, and I've tried to figure out a test to figure out the limits. I THINK I found once that my Triumph showed a slight difference from 30kH to 25kH, but I'm not convinced. But when I'm after the lowest possible freq I just enter 20kH. Likewise for the upper limit, 80 to 100kH seems to be the upper limit. My Ebay1 laser with the 150 lens, I was having a hard time finding much difference no matter what freq I used when at full power. It seriously acts like a 50w machine compared to the other two. The upper freq's only seem to make a difference at 50% or less power. Above 50% it's very aggressive...

And speaking of aggressive, and the common question of 'what settings do you use for _______' ... I've always professed that 'all lasers are different'. Evidence of this happened a couple of days ago when engraving a rifle barrel. In my pics above you see a very clean fiber engraved barrel, done on my ebay2 machine, nearly dead-smooth to the touch. The other day I used the EXACT same settings to engrave a barrel on my ebay1 machine. Results were okay, but not even close to as clean and smooth, quite a bit of slag. I'm assuming mostly due to the fact that my E1 machine IS more aggressive. Could be mostly due to the different lenses, and I used E2's laser timing settings on the E1, normally they're somewhat different, maybe I should've changed them back before running the barrel...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

For what it is worth I have used my eBay fiber at just about every frequency between 20 and 80 kHz, all with great success. Interestingly enough though mine was set in the software for just those limits when I installed it. Good luck!
    30w eBay fiber laser
    Axiom Precision AR4 Pro CNC router
    40W CO2 Laser
    CNC Lathe
    Vinyl Cutter
    Roland Eco Solvent Printer
    Anycubic Photon
    Corel X7
    some other stuff I dont want my wife to find out about

Certainly planning ahead here...has one got a source for replacement lenses?

General update: machine still running great. Lots of AA has been burned on this thing. Currently running my Glock RTF2 slide, adding crescent serrations to the front.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Blog Entries
    I bought a 150x150 f210mm with my laser from Ray Fine along with the 100x100 f160mm that was 'standard'. I purchased a 220x220 F330 from Cloudray off ebay. Seems to be good laser supply source in China. Fast shipping by DHL (wasn't expecting that BTW, figured slow 25 day mail). It works fine, but power of my 20 Watt laser drops off out near edgs (like other lenses too) but I bought to run some material at about 20% power max. And it works fine for that. BTW, save your setting, set up different folder with the whole software in it for each lens. These are the large diameter lens (85mm) Haven't seen nor found a source for the 'newer' ebay fiber.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by Chris DeGerolamo View Post
    Certainly planning ahead here...has one got a source for replacement lenses?.
    Depends on your lens- forgive my memory, but if you got one of the ebay machines like mine, you likely have the small lens with a 52mm diameter lens mount thread (M52) - The more 'traditional' lenses are much larger and 'cone' shaped somewhat, with an 85mm diameter lens mount thread (M85) --

As of right this minute, I can't find an M52 lens for sale on Cloudray or even Alibaba. BUT, I did find ONE seller on Ebay that sells them---
    Because they're so scarce I hope the mods don't mind if I post a link to the ad (if not, I suppose they'll delete it ) -- I'm probably going to pick myself up a 150 to for my ebay2 machine that came with the 220...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiber-Laser...1n2RzG1Hm_zjOQ
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Nice find Kev.

Mine came with a 150. Will definitely pick up a couple other sizes and maybe a replacement 150 just in case they become more scarce. Let me know how it works out if you order one.

Nailed it Kev, thanks.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

I am wondering if it would be possible to just buy a new galvo head ($430) from cloudray that accepts the larger lens and replace the one that currently comes with the ebay units? At that point you can use the readily available lens (M85). Down the road anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Damon View Post
    I am wondering if it would be possible to just buy a new galvo head ($430) from cloudray that accepts the larger lens and replace the one that currently comes with the ebay units? At that point you can use the readily available lens (M85). Down the road anyway.
    I've had my fibers for over 4 years and the lenses look like brand new. I'd save that $430 and spend it on something useful... or frivolous...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    I've had my fibers for over 4 years and the lenses look like brand new. I'd save that $430 and spend it on something useful... or frivolous...
    My fiber was already "Frivolous"

I am just looking at the wider range of lens available in the M85 size range and the potential lack of availability of the M52 sized lenses down the road.

Thanks.

I would also like to know to what extent our fiber lasers are just LEGO bricks that can be swapped out at will. How interchangeable are the galvo heads control boards and laser sources? Anyone have experience replacing those parts?

When I got my CO2 laser in Nov. 2018 the first thing I did was crack everything open and document all the components and traced out all the wiring and created a detailed wiring diagram (when I find some free time I am going to put the diagram in Autocad.)

When I got my eBay Fiber last week I cracked everything open (I like knowing how things are made and work) because like Kev I had to replace the key switch that had a broken key in it and replaced it. Luckily I found the same manufacturer/model on Amazon and ordered it and it came in the next day and I just had to swap out the key component and not the relay/switch portion.

Honestly from what I saw, if you can make it fit within the space they are just components. The only concern I would what to be sure of before making a galvo head change is to make sure that the laser head in the compartment the galvo attaches to will accurately align to the mirrors.

So far the issues I have had and have easily corrected myself:

1. I had to downgrade to a previous version of Ezcad2 than what came on the thumb drive to get everything to work (wouldn't save any changes to .cfg or ini files and wouldn't display any text on the screen.) (Free Download.)

2. Had to replace the key switch. ($10.00 Amazon)

3. Had to add some 4mm set screws to underside of head lift platform to level the galvo head parallel to the base plate form. ($1.29 Lowes)

4. Came with wrong advertised lens. A 110mm was in ad, 150mm was shipped. (Vendor is sending free 110mm lens, says I can keep the 150mm.)

5. Shipping crate came broken open. Top was little more than duct tape and one side corner was ripped open (probably due to CBP ripping the top of the crate open during their inspection and only using a few drywall screws to re-secure it and the fact that it was shipped Fedex.) (These are built like tanks so other than a few scratches which doesn't affect the performance, everything works even with the damaged crate.)

6. Time delay in correspondence. (This is expected, they are 12 hours ahead of us and there is going to be a delay. When I am awake they are asleep, and vice verse. They start their weekend on Friday local time here and return on Sunday here. So plan accordingly. They are not Amazon that you can get instant responses.)

The shipping was actually quicker than expected. Shipped out of California and arrived in 3 days east coast.

From what I can see at this point these are great little machines. If you are expecting perfect machines and perfect tech support, spend 4 times as much and buy from an American manufacturer. But if you want a low cost work horse that you may have to do your own maintenance on I would definitely recommend these as others have.

Rob

When I got my CO2 laser in Nov. 2018 the first thing I did was crack everything open and document all the components and traced out all the wiring and created a detailed wiring diagram (when I find some free time I am going to put the diagram in Autocad.)

When I got my eBay Fiber last week I cracked everything open (I like knowing how things are made and work) because like Kev I had to replace the key switch that had a broken key in it and replaced it. Luckily I found the same manufacturer/model on Amazon and ordered it and it came in the next day and I just had to swap out the key component and not the relay/switch portion.

Honestly from what I saw, if you can make it fit within the space they are just components. The only concern I would what to be sure of before making a galvo head change is to make sure that the laser head in the compartment the galvo attaches to will accurately align to the mirrors.

So far the issues I have had and have easily corrected myself:

1. I had to downgrade to a previous version of Ezcad2 than what came on the thumb drive to get everything to work (wouldn't save any changes to .cfg or ini files and wouldn't display any text on the screen.) (Free Download.)

2. Had to replace the key switch. ($10.00 Amazon)

3. Had to add some 4mm set screws to underside of head lift platform to level the galvo head parallel to the base plate form. ($1.29 Lowes)

4. Came with wrong advertised lens. A 110mm was in ad, 150mm was shipped. (Vendor is sending free 110mm lens, says I can keep the 150mm.)

5. Shipping crate came broken open. Top was little more than duct tape and one side corner was ripped open (probably due to CBP ripping the top of the crate open during their inspection and only using a few drywall screws to re-secure it and the fact that it was shipped Fedex.) (These are built like tanks so other than a few scratches which doesn't affect the performance, everything works even with the damaged crate.)

6. Time delay in correspondence. (This is expected, they are 12 hours ahead of us and there is going to be a delay. When I am awake they are asleep, and vice verse. They start their weekend on Friday local time here and return on Sunday here. So plan accordingly. They are not Amazon that you can get instant responses.)

The shipping was actually quicker than expected. Shipped out of California and arrived in 3 days east coast.

From what I can see at this point these are great little machines. If you are expecting perfect machines and perfect tech support, spend 4 times as much and buy from an American manufacturer. But if you want a low cost work horse that you may have to do your own maintenance on I would definitely recommend these as others have.

Rob
    Did you crack open the fiber source itself? Mine is calling to me but that darned warranty seal has prevented me so far....not sure why the warranty probably isnt worth the paper the seal was printed on! I sure would like to see a pic of how all the diodes are chained together and attached to the fiber, but I cant seem to find any online.
    30w eBay fiber laser
    Axiom Precision AR4 Pro CNC router
    40W CO2 Laser
    CNC Lathe
    Vinyl Cutter
    Roland Eco Solvent Printer
    Anycubic Photon
    Corel X7
    some other stuff I dont want my wife to find out about

I'm pretty sure all the stuff has been very much standardized. My ebay machines have BJJCZ controllers, my Triumph an IPG something, but not much difference visually or in operation. The scanheads are different between the Triumph and EB's, but they have the exact same mount and the exact same 25 pin plug connection. All 3 have Max lasers but I'm sure I could swap any one into any other machine, and I'm sure a Raycus or any other would plug n play. One interesting thing about the 'new' lenses, is that as focal length grows, so does the glass and lens housing size- The small 220 lens is much larger in diameter than the 150. The traditional lenses are all the same size, changes are internal. The one noticeable difference is the actual lens-to-work focus distance is quite a bit farther with the smaller lenses, the 220 focuses almost 18"-- even at that distance, where the mirrors are barely moving when engraving 1/2mm stuff, the results are great.

Anyway- I'm pretty sure most scanheads will work in these machines--
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

So I was just checking into lenses again, specifically Cloudray's stuff, and after doing some digging I found out that new power supplies are supplied with new scanheads...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter