Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Ebay fiber laser, I'll be the guinea pig--

Have you tried a different file path without the pound signs (##)? Some programs don't play well with non alphanumeric symbols.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

I have not, I jost followed the path that the software specified. I cant seem to find any way to change the path that ezcad wants to use to find the config file. I am just computer literate enough to be dangerous!
    30w eBay fiber laser
    Axiom Precision AR4 Pro CNC router
    40W CO2 Laser
    CNC Lathe
    Vinyl Cutter
    Roland Eco Solvent Printer
    Anycubic Photon
    Corel X7
    some other stuff I dont want my wife to find out about

Try putting everything on the C drive proper, NOT in any documents folders, could be a 'permissions' thing. Create a folder on the C drive called "1-Fiber" and copy the flash drive there. (the '1' will put that folder on top )
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks for the quick replies guys, unfortunately the problem persists.0410191101_HDR.jpg
    30w eBay fiber laser
    40W CO2 Laser
    CNC Lathe
    Vinyl Cutter
    Anycubic Photon
    Corel X7

Ezcad

I think I got it. I had to copy just the ezcad folder, not any ofthe other stuff that was on the thumb drive to the c drive and now it is working! Thanks again!
    30w eBay fiber laser
    40W CO2 Laser
    CNC Lathe
    Vinyl Cutter
    Anycubic Photon
    Corel X7

Just finished another CF barrel, and had presence of mind to take pics this time

As before, this was done on my ebay2 machine, cabinet model 30w with the 220 lens. I'm still surprised I'm getting these results with that lens. But to be fair, I've had the same lens for my Triumph and I've never tried it for deep work, I've always used the 150 or the 72 lens..

br2.jpgbr1.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Looks great. I haven't made it to th0411191413a_HDR.jpgat point yet!
    30w eBay fiber laser
    40W CO2 Laser
    CNC Lathe
    Vinyl Cutter
    Anycubic Photon
    Corel X7

Worked for me...now I can stop muddling through the errors.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Reporting back after less than a month of ownership...our fiber is working great and making money. No complaints here at all. Still learning, spent a good part of the afternoon practicing annealing on stainless with differing colors. Most of what we are doing is anodized aluminum and they are looking sharp. The tolerance in focal plane on this machine (with this lens) has exceeded my expectations.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

I have had my fiber a few weeks now and I thought I would report back some of my thoughts and mods for those who may also be considering buying one of these units. The long and short of it is that I would buy it again. If you want a few more details read on. I sell stuff on ebay almost daily so I am quite accustomed to the ways of ebay and I can honestly say that I have never had a more stressful transaction. The seller literally only answered one of the numerous messages that I sent them, but in the end it really didn't matter, just know that going in. The Unit did not ship from Ca as stated via Fedex, rather it came on a 53' semi trailer from the east coast. I did buy the larger cabinet model not the desktop model and I think that could be why. It arrived in great shape and I had a friendly truck driver who was curious enough to stick around to see the crate get opened I was very pleased with how it was packed. Much to my surprise things were very well protected and wrapped up. Setup was super easy as well. Overall I am extremely impressed with the build quality of the machine itself. I would say that it is at or near the upper end of where an imported machine will be and aside from a few cheap pieces of hardware (fasteners) it is really quite presentable. I had a few problems with software install but the guys here were helpful and steered me in the correct direction. I opted to use an older XP machine that once controlled an old cnc router of mine and it has been working great. So far the software has really only crashed once, but the advice to save your work often is in fact good advice! The software is a bit quirky but quite functional and powerful. I still have lots to learn, my scaling is off by just a bit and I need to work on that next. It hasn't mattered for experimenting but I am just about to the stage of things needing to be the size that they need to be so I will need to do a bit of calibration soon. The software seemed to be about 95% tuned for this specific laser right out of the box which is better than I expected. I was pretty successful right from the start as far as marking things is concerned but I have spent the last several weeks experimenting and trying to come up with repeatable results for various materials. Since there are way more variables than you have with a CO2 laser I have found that getting the correct settings figured out is really important for good results....at a respectable speed. I still have lots of learning to do but things look promising. I knew that one of my first mods needed to be some fume extraction and Prime had the required materials to me well before the laser arrived. I am using a 12vdc boat bilge pump and although it is a bit noisy it works quite well and was inexpensive. I mounted a 12v power supply on the wall of the cabinet and ran it thru a switch up near the control panel. I attached some 3" locline adjustable tubing to it so I can easily place the extraction wherever I need it and it stays put. The other end just attaches to some dryer ducting that takes it out through the wall of my garage. Speaking of control cabinets I was also quite pleased with the wiring inside of the cabinet. everything was routed in wire mold and although it looks like some of the wire mold cuts were made by an angry beaver I can't complain. Also nice is the fact that every single wire appears to be labeled at both ends! I work on machines everyday at work that cost more than a house and they often dont have labels on their wires! The laser power source itself is just begging me to break the seals and look inside of the cabinet but so far I have resisted. Based on the suggestion of another user here I also purchased a 32 dollar xy table from Amazon, and it is money well spent. You can move stuff around in the software but it is so much easier to get things just right using the handwheels and the table. I can't claim to have made any money from it yet, but I bought it on a bit of speculation and I really like the capabilities it will add in the future. I will eventually come up with a marketable idea, it is just a matter of time. For the time being I am quite happy to experiment and get all of my settings locked down fairly well so that I will have a good starting point for any given project. All in all I am quite pleased with the machine, fingers crossed that it will serve me in a trouble free manner for many years to come! I will post a few pics below and thanks again to Kev and all of the others that have taken the time to post helpful comments throughout this thread which truly is a great repository of info about these machines.

Trevor
    30w eBay fiber laser
    40W CO2 Laser
    CNC Lathe
    Vinyl Cutter
    Anycubic Photon
    Corel X7

pics

30w eBay fiber laser
    40W CO2 Laser
    CNC Lathe
    Vinyl Cutter
    Anycubic Photon
    Corel X7

30w eBay fiber laser
    40W CO2 Laser
    CNC Lathe
    Vinyl Cutter
    Anycubic Photon
    Corel X7

Blog Entries
    Thanks for opening up the base. You DO have a place to put the desktop computer inside so it looks pretty finished. Was curious about that, even though I'd still just run though USB cable as I do now with a wireless mouse and keyboard.
    Good luck with it.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Plenty of room in the base. I should have mwntioned that. I have a fairly large tower in there and it fit perfect, it is nice to have it all closed up, andbit was nice that they included a panel mount usb jack up below the monitor so it is even easy to plug a thumb drive in for loading files.
    30w eBay fiber laser
    40W CO2 Laser
    CNC Lathe
    Vinyl Cutter
    Anycubic Photon
    Corel X7

This has been on my mind for a few days: the product page for this laser (link intentionally omitted) states the frequency 20-80KHz. Parameters are set on EZCAD to max at 20KHz...which shall I believe? Would I do any damage to the laser by changing the max frequency to 80KHz?
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01