Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebay fiber laser, I'll be the guinea pig--

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Based on all the other prices I'm seeing lately, many of which don't include duties and tariffs and all, $4000 for these machines is a steal. But BEAR IN MIND, these machines are very much intended for 'seasoned' users, or users who are somewhat mechanically inclined and not afraid to pull covers and plugs and such to adjust dip switches or add simple accessories yourself. Example, I don't know if many people are aware of a simple modification to these machines that can speed up setup and production time, which I found out about accidentally-- As users are aware, when you start the laser, you get an on-screen "MARKING" message during the marking procedure. When marking is done, the message goes away. The problem with this is that while marking, EzCad is now busy and you can't do anything but wait for the engraving to end.

BUT, built into the controller is a simple function called REMARK... to enable it you need a switch-
    like another foot switch- and you have to crimp or solder the switch wires to the male connector that fits
    the plug shown...
    Attachment 406656
    Note that pin 8 is labeled 'REMARK', one of the switch wires connects here,
    the other wire connects to any ground location, of which there's 3, I've
    chosen pin 13, and if memory serves, pin 13 is 'empty'...

So, what the REMARK function does is this: When you run a job from EzCad, that job remains in the machines memory. What REMARK does is re-run the saved job in memory instead of EzCad feeding the same job over and over from the computer. This is great if you're engraving multiples of the same thing over and over and have another job waiting to set up; When remarking, EzCad is divorced from the machine, which means you're free to set up the next job AND run multiples of the same parts, instead of waiting until all the parts are done to start the next setup! -There is ONE catch, there's no STOP button when doing this (other than the E-stop), but normally there's no reason to stop when running multiples...

SO, I told you all that to say this: If you're the type of person who can wire up a new switch or install a new scanhead if the original goes out, or have a good friend that can -- then one of these cheap machines may be a worthwhile investment! Otherwise, enter at your own risk... I've been extremely pleased with both my ebay machines, and when my foot switch didn't work on the first one, the seller was prompt and helpful about making it right (it was disabled in EzCad, ez fix!) but I'm also aware that a guy in China can only do so much to help a guy in North America...
    More solid info, the best I have seen anywhere on these machines! Thanks. Quick question, if you ordered one tomorrow, 2 choices; 4k for the stand version with the white cabinet, or 3900 for the benchtop model which would you choose? As I recall you have both so I am just curious if you prefer one over the other as far as ease of use. Thanks again!
    30w eBay fiber laser
    Axiom Precision AR4 Pro CNC router
    40W CO2 Laser
    CNC Lathe
    Vinyl Cutter
    Roland Eco Solvent Printer
    Anycubic Photon
    Corel X7
    some other stuff I dont want my wife to find out about

My foot switch worked out the gate...the only hindrance is EZCAD...but as you mentioned Kev, I am 'seasoned' (I think) and have multiple platforms from which to create and import artwork. For anyone reading...

We bought desktop version, not the cabinet model as that I did not need it, and didn't see it's function. After aligning the (2) scanhead red dots, it's been smooth sailing WRT focal plane. I am in the process of porting job/art over now for certain clients. We have a contract with an aftermarket autoparts manufacturer (yeah, you've heard of them but due to NDA I cannot disclose, but I digress...). With this new fiber, the tolerance in focal plane on a round object is gone. And on our galvo fiber, the job takes 3.5 seconds as opposed to just over a minute on our CO2. To be clear, the galvo will not replace our Epilog CO2, but it's a great new tool.

Ok, so PMAGs...I run 2 loops, two hatches...first at 315 .1mm gap second hatch same at 45 degrees. Power 10% or so, speed 1000 and frequency 20. (If I am missing something it's because I am exhausted and still learning.) Results are good and pass my scratch test.
    mags.jpg

To be clear, I bought the machine to provide us deep metal engraving, which it does well and fast. Oh, and, the unit sits atop a table/worktop that houses our blower unit. At current, there are no discernible effects from the vibrations of the blower into the engravings of the galvo fiber...a nice surprise bc I was a bit worried.

I'll continue to weigh in as a I am able and competent to do so.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Another great bit of info. I think I will talk to my "banker" tomorrow and get one ordered. I am leaning toward the cabinet model, but in my cramped quarters I would probably be smarter to get the benchtop version.
    Last edited by Trevor HinzeNE; 03-28-2019 at 9:06 AM. Reason: Spelling Errors
    30w eBay fiber laser
    40W CO2 Laser
    CNC Lathe
    Vinyl Cutter
    Anycubic Photon
    Corel X7

Just looking over this thread again...my desktop unit was ~3850 to the door. Shipped outta Houston TX, but still sold by the same group of folks in Ontario CA.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Quote Originally Posted by Chris DeGerolamo View Post
    Just looking over this thread again...my desktop unit was ~3850 to the door. Shipped outta Houston TX, but still sold by the same group of folks in Ontario CA.
    I really cant decide. I like the portability of the benchtop unit, but then I would have to buy a cart to put it on. Even at harbor freight prices it is cheaper to just get the unit with the integrated cabinet. Unfortunately all of the units on eBay that are cabinet based seem to have 200mm lenses. The larger size would be nice but I think that the higher power density aviliable with the 150mm unkts would suit me better as I really want to engrave into metal.
    30w eBay fiber laser
    40W CO2 Laser
    CNC Lathe
    Vinyl Cutter
    Anycubic Photon
    Corel X7

Trevor, I'm really liking my cabinet machine, but I do like the desktop version a bit better, the 150 lens is more versatile, and you can put the whole machine almost anywhere--
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Trevor, I'm really liking my cabinet machine, but I do like the desktop version a bit better, the 150 lens is more versatile, and you can put the whole machine almost anywhere--
    It is Definately going to be nice if an easy source for,the lenses becomes available, which if these keep selling surely has to be the case.
    30w eBay fiber laser
    40W CO2 Laser
    CNC Lathe
    Vinyl Cutter
    Anycubic Photon
    Corel X7

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    I've got one I don't use any more if you are interested.
    Hi Gary,
    I might be interested in your rotary device. If you could supply me with a few pictures and size of chuck, etc. that would be great.
    You can PM me if you like.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Kev,
    That "REMARK" function you posted is invaluable, I was wondering if the machine had something like this built in (like a feature switch). But since it doesn't I will add this to it.
    By the way, I am waiting on a desktop version to be delivered!
    Does anyone know if the manual comes with a call-out of the rotary device plug on the back, such as which pin is the step, direction, +, - etc?? If not, does anyone have that yet?
    Thanks to everyone for all the great information.
    Jeff

I have the manuals, but haven't read thru them much yet- If you get a rotary be sure it comes with the driver as these machines don't have them. I'm sure the rotary and driver will have instructions for the plug-
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I have the manuals, but haven't read thru them much yet- If you get a rotary be sure it comes with the driver as these machines don't have them. I'm sure the rotary and driver will have instructions for the plug-
    I am hoping someone will have some info, or that we can figure it out. It would be nice to use a non laser specific rotary and stepper drive as they Are only a couple hundred bucks rather than 500 for those directly intended for the laser. I jumped on the bandwagon today and ordered the cabinet model....fingers crossed. A week of waiting is gonna kill me!
    30w eBay fiber laser
    40W CO2 Laser
    CNC Lathe
    Vinyl Cutter
    Anycubic Photon
    Corel X7

I can send pics and specs if you send me your email address. PM privileges are not available for us non-contributors. My email is garyhair at Comcast dot net.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bromagem View Post
    Hi Gary,
    I might be interested in your rotary device. If you could supply me with a few pictures and size of chuck, etc. that would be great.
    You can PM me if you like.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bromagem View Post
    Kev,
    That "REMARK" function you posted is invaluable, I was wondering if the machine had something like this built in (like a feature switch). But since it doesn't I will add this to it.
    By the way, I am waiting on a desktop version to be delivered!
    Does anyone know if the manual comes with a call-out of the rotary device plug on the back, such as which pin is the step, direction, +, - etc?? If not, does anyone have that yet?
    Thanks to everyone for all the great information.
    Jeff
    I do not recall seeing the pin-out for the rotary....though it could have been because I was laughing too hard at the translations...

Congrats on the purchase. Keep us posted Jeff. If I may, first things first, find the focal point based on sound on a scrap piece of aluminum or sim. Once you have determined focal distance, use a good allan key (2mm or 2.5mm; their tools were crap so have a backup) to adjust the other two red dots. once you have convergence, finding focal plane on various objects is a breeze. I am constantly amazed at the focal plane tolerance on these machines, at least on anodized al. My EZcad is quirky as hell, so I screenshot my settings to Word for future use/recall. The TYMKA (sp?) PDF reference is a great start - I strongly suggest using it as a guide until you grasp the ins and outs of the laser.

Best of luck and post back once you have tinkered.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

I am really starting to wonder about this eBay seller. I asked a couple of questions this week, no reply. Yesterday I made an offer of 98 pct of their asking price and got no reply. The offer timed out on eBay. I asked another question a few hours ago to see if they had recieved my offer. I am super hesitant to hit the buy it now button and have 4k tied up if they are not going to ship it. I do eBay every single day so I know I would ultimately be protected but what a hassle if it doesn't work out. For those that have bought in the last few weeks did they in fact ship and give you a tracking number in a reasonable time frame. I looked again at Ali express but the horror stories, esp those about import duties are just too scary. I wont get us going down that bunny trail though. I am ready to buy. It would just be nice to know that a human being is actually there to ship my order. I do however have zero confidence that I could get any after sale resolution if something went wrong.
    30w eBay fiber laser
    40W CO2 Laser
    CNC Lathe
    Vinyl Cutter
    Anycubic Photon
    Corel X7

My transaction was flawless. I bought on a Friday, it shipped Monday and I received that Thursday.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01