Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Ebay fiber laser, I'll be the guinea pig--

Well, it does appear the source is dead. This unit was delivered March 31, 2019...not too long a life span for the source.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Quote Originally Posted by Chris DeGerolamo View Post
    Well, it does appear the source is dead. This unit was delivered March 31, 2019...not too long a life span for the source.
    Really sorry to hear that Chris. I was hoping you had found the issue.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Really sorry to hear that Chris. I was hoping you had found the issue.
    Thanks Scott. Now I wait for the seller's response and hope I'm not [putting this nicely] out of luck. As I see it, these are our outcomes:

-We miraculously are awarded promptly with a new source (least likely)
    -We purchase new source while the existing is refurbished
    -Invoke eBay's guarantee/return policy for a product that was supposed to last longer than it did, i.e. argue it was defective upon receipt.

The saga continues...
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

I'm betting on them getting you a new source. How promptly is the question, unless they're storing those in a California warehouse too.

My impression with dealing with them was, they're not the typical(?) take your money and run sellers, they want to sell machines, they know word of mouth will help (look what I started), and good service when something goes bad will only help. Just my opinion, but Raycus is the X factor here, 3-1/2 months into a 2 year warranty, I would think they'd just swap it out. But that's also just my opinion...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Just my opinion, but Raycus is the X factor here, 3-1/2 months into a 2 year warranty, I would think they'd just swap it out. But that's also just my opinion...
    Raycus will not swap it out. They aren't going to hand out sources until they get the old one back, so it's got to get to Raycus for anything to happen. That's 2 weeks there, 2 weeks back with no time to process it, plus no less than $600 in shipping there and back. They won't cover the shipping. It's the failing point of Chinese systems, if you have a problem and it needs to be handled under warranty, you have little recourse other than sitting and waiting. If you have business and can't be down for 2 months, then your best bet is to buy another source and then send the other one back to be repaired.

Sadly, once it leaves you place of business, not too many people along the way really care when you get it back or if you are down. That's not a black mark on the ebay seller, that's just the reality of dealing with Chinese warranty. If it were anything but the source of the scanhead, I think they could be talked into sending you a new part pretty quickly.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

The seller responded to install wechat to walk me through the fix (God, I only hope). We have connected via the app but he is 12hrs ahead of me so we are working on a time that works for both of us. I'll let y'all know the outcome.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

The best time I have found to do real time email chat with Chinese vendors is between 11pm-midnight (EST). They are 12 hours ahead so that puts just before lunch time for them. Also, once it hits about midnight Thursday, may as well wait until afternoon/evening on Sunday to try and contacted them via email.

If I was using my Fiber for business use and did not have a backup, I would just buy two of the cheap Chinese units and keep one for back up spare parts, because having it down for 4-6 week would not be acceptable.

I am just using mine for hobby and will be order a few spare parts just in case when it does go down. So even if they can Wechat you and get it up and running, you may want to consider going ahead and order a few spare parts if you are planning on relying heavily on the unit for business use.

Rob

I have lots of machines, and one of the reasons is because I almost always have a machine available for any job that comes in. Another reason is insurance against breakdowns-- Except for my old vinyl cutter, every other machine I use has at least 2 backup machines able to do the same type of job. I've never had to farm out work...

Good luck with the repairs-- I AM happy that they're trying to help
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

After three hours of checking voltages etc. last night with the seller and manufacturer it is confirmed the source is dead...no big surprise. The seller stated she would contact someone here is America to find a replacement. Of course they are 12 hours ahead of us and now being Friday I don't expect to hear anything until early next week at best. In the interim, I suppose I will be looking to a redundant machine or new/additional fiber source while in-house work and prospective clients are on hold.

Anyone have a go to for fast delivery/ landed sources in America? My worst case scenario is to shell out the capital for another Racycus based machine only to have the source die in another (3) months. A quick glance on eBay puts a JPT source at my door mid-August; my business cannot wait that long.

Half-joking here but not really: anyone have an extra source??

Thanks all for the help/input in advance.

(You too Art.)
    Last edited by Chris DeGerolamo; 07-12-2019 at 4:56 PM. Reason: grammar error due to no sleep
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

A quick update as that there has been little movement and no resolution...will post back once this changes.

In a nut shell, the source died. The seller said they would send a 20W machine to replace our 30W. We said no. They insisted on a 20W. We said no. They said they would send us a 30W from US...out of stock (same sellers Kev.; link provided for replacement was your seller). They said they would send 30W from China....factory was out of stock so they said. They agreed to send us the reimbursement amount for the power supplies and replacement laser source *WE* purchased, only once we closed the dispute with Paypal because the seller claimed funds were frozen; eBay won't touch it after 30 days. I contacted Paypal today and they flat out said do not close the dispute because we would have no recourse (painting a pretty picture, right?). Paypal reviewed the dispute and escalated it to a claim immediately. We are awaiting response from the seller.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01