Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Totally necessary Domino accessory

Totally necessary Domino accessory

So....

Anyone stepping up to part with a boatload of cash this accessory?IMG_6883.jpg

I'm not saying it isn't good, but I've never found myself wishing for a tool with that capability while using my Domino. I saw the ad for it, but it just doesn't have any appeal to me.

Maybe I'm a simpleton, but I make my marks and make my cut.

Too complicated to use...totally defeats the purpose of the domino. Of course, the vendor is known to have produced solutions looking for a problem to solve.

Simon

I've got a friend in our local WW club (Gwinnett Woodworkers Association) that has one of these. He used it to make a fancy front porch railing (Chippendale design) using PVC. That one job paid for the Domino, the dust collector, and the jig you show. Yep - it was amazing and he earned every penny.
    Last edited by Rick Alexander; 11-21-2018 at 9:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Alexander View Post
    I've got a friend in our local WW club (Gwinnett Woodworkers Association) that has one of these. He used it to make a fancy front porch railing (Chippendale design) using PVC. That one job paid for the Domino, the dust collector, and the jig you show. Yep - it was amazing and he earned every penny.

So it’s perfect for all those guys making chippendale porch rails ?

Bet that’s a lot of folks.

Could have been done with a duo doweler also. I’m with Simon and Jacob on this - solution looking for a problem.

But I don’t discount the fact that a lot WP stuff is aimed at the collector , and I’ll wager a significant portion of domino 500’s are shelf queens.

This thing is insane. #1 The porch rails (or anything else for that matter) could have been done with the bits and pieces that come with the domino intended for spacing the mortises (in fact one can see the built-in scale being defeated / ignored in the photos in the advertisements). #2 This ads a ridiculous heft and awkwardness to the machine. #3 $400?? Sign me right up, and throw in the $600 flattening jig they're busy pushing. Solutions looking for problems is right...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    So it’s perfect for all those guys making chippendale porch rails ?

Bet that’s a lot of folks.

Could have been done with a duo doweler also. I’m with Simon and Jacob on this - solution looking for a problem.

But I don’t discount the fact that a lot WP stuff is aimed at the collector , and I’ll wager a significant portion of domino 500’s are shelf queens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Alexander View Post
    I don't think this jig is available yet. I think it is a one time tool that hasn't shipped yet? Could be wrong.

There are similar tools out there, though. But like I said, I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    I don't think this jig is available yet. I think it is a one time tool that hasn't shipped yet? Could be wrong.

I don't think it is available yet or just became available, but it is going to be a permanent tool per WPs.

I took a cursory look at it when I got the email and my initial impression was I don't see the need for it. That said I remain open-minded because I bet within a month or so there will be a youtube video from someone more creative than I that shows a use or a group of uses I hadn't thought of. If that happens there may be a point in time where it strikes me as just the accessory that saves me enough time and trouble to be worth its healthy price tag. If I didn't remain open-minded about expensive tools I wouldn't own a Domino.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

The mindless sponsored instagram 'makers' are already flogging it with their freebie tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I don't think it is available yet or just became available, but it is going to be a permanent tool per WPs.

I took a cursory look at it when I got the email and my initial impression was I don't see the need for it. That said I remain open-minded because I bet within a month or so there will be a youtube video from someone more creative than I that shows a use or a group of uses I hadn't thought of. If that happens there may be a point in time where it strikes me as just the accessory that saves me enough time and trouble to be worth its healthy price tag. If I didn't remain open-minded about expensive tools I wouldn't own a Domino.

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    The mindless sponsored instagram 'makers' are already flogging it with their freebie tools.
    for

I have seen some of them. Thus far the ones I have seen are simply the initial intended use, which I don't derive $400 of utility from. Where my money might get spent is when someone comes up with an out of the box use that I at some point find myself needing. When Paul at Half Inch Shy was still produced content he more than once found what I considered an intriguing use with Festool. I personally have no issues with the free tool "commercials" often the better creators show and describe the use of the tool better than the company does which is occasionally useful to me.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post

What jig, the offset base? It came out in 2014 or so.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    What jig, the offset base? It came out in 2014 or so.

Simon
    It has been a one-time tool before but now it is being produced as part of their "permanent" line.

It has been a one-time tool before but now it is being produced as part of their "permanent" line.
    The one-time tool label is a joke, because many OTTs are reproduced and re-released due to "popular demand." Endless examples can be found for this vendor. Some people do fall for it, thinking if something is one-time, it may increase in value for collectors.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    The one-time tool label is a joke, because many OTTs are reproduced and re-released due to "popular demand." Endless examples can be found for this vendor. Some people do fall for it, thinking if something is one-time, it may increase in value for collectors.

Simon
    I honestly don't think anyone collects WP tools outside of someone that just buys them all thinking they may use them at some point but never does, that would be a form of collecting I suppose. They are BCTW. I also don't think many people since their first re-run see them as purely one-time tools. Some have been to this point and the popular ones have not. The Delve square has become my most used marking/measuring/setup tool, I bought it on a whim but when mine was lost (more likely permanently borrowed) it was a long hard wait for a re-run to the point of listing WTB ads and I would have been willing to pay over retail. I find the fervor around the one-time tools to be almost silly, the tools may or may not be re-run and while the value of all of them are questionable they are all quality tools and almost universally there are some that find value in them. There are almost always at least one post on at least one of the various fora where someone is essentially laughing at the value of one of them. Value like taste is difficult if not impossible to debate. Value is very personal and has a tie-in with a persons disposable income. In a hyperbolic example if one has Steve Gates money the value equation is very different from one who makes minimum wage.

Some think there is no value in the extra cost of a Sawstop while some see a Martin T75 PreX as worth every penny and they can both be right.

I honestly don't think anyone collects WP tools outside of someone that just buys them all thinking they may use them at some point but never does, that would be a form of collecting I suppose.
    You may not think so, but "limited edition", OTT, etc. are common marketing tricks or labels producers of all kinds of premium goods use to entice and attract sales. OTT is often taken to mean production is one-time and you won't have a second chance to get the SAME thing if you miss it. Of course, not in the case of WP's. It is a trick played on people's mind. "Limited Edition" is used a lot in the auto industry and the LE model fetches higher prices too.

I know at least two WP owners who look at some of their their OTTs as having collectors' status whether or not any WP products are for collectors is open to discussion. If one day WP is sold to a Chinese business like Bridge City, then all made in USA WP products will become collectors items.

The fact remains using the OTT label without any intention to keep it one-time is deceiving.

Simon