Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Totally necessary Domino accessory

Maybe deceptive, if they offer it again, but I think it's just their way of trying out a tool to see if there's enough demand. Whatever, their business model seems to work.

One thing I've noticed about the other brands they offer (Bora, Portamate, Z Saw, etc.) is that they're usually available elsewhere for less money.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Maybe deceptive, if they offer it again, but I think it's just their way of trying out a tool to see if there's enough demand. Whatever, their business model seems to work.

One thing I've noticed about the other brands they offer (Bora, Portamate, Z Saw, etc.) is that they're usually available elsewhere for less money.
    I disagree that "it's just their way of trying out a tool to see if there's enough demand." It is not really about trying out; if it were, then they should not use the "OTT" label. OTT is plain English and it has nothing to do with demand. Many businesses try out products or services, but I am not aware of any that attaches a "One Time" label in those cases.

But I do agree with you that it is a business model that works for them. Obviously, that is also why they keep using the deceptive labeling, even for what they know is not going to be produced one-time. Frankly, anyone in manufacturing knows some one-time setup is costly and unless you have a strong sales case, you don't fool yourself by doing just one run with a costly investment.

Simon

They are up front about some of the tools being rereleased if demand dictates. Some stuff never sees another run, some stuff doesn't. Some stuff becomes a permanent item. I have some OTTs. I have some standard offerings. I don't base my purchase on if it is a limited run but if I will use it. I also don't concern myself with what other people do with their money. Maybe "Limited Run" or "Limited run for not but more it demand dictates"(LRFNBMIDD).

OneTIME Tool

Woodpeckers’ Program is Unique Among Manufacturers of Woodworking TOOLs.

Here’s How It Works. For each new OneTIME Tool we make a few samples and photograph it. We then offer it for sale for just a few weeks. After the order window closes, we prepare for a single production run and make only enough to fill the orders. When the tools ship, we retire it from our product line.

How Can We Do This? Like virtually all our tools, OneTIME Tools are made one at a time. They are not cast in expensive molds or stamped out by the thousands. Components (often made from solid pieces of aluminum or stainless steel) are machined individually on state-of-the-art CNC equipment in our shop near Cleveland, Ohio. Although the production process may seem unusual by industry standards, it's by far the best way to release a steady flow of good tools; tools that woodworkers can use and enjoy; tools that otherwise might never be made at all.
    Since 2011, we’ve produced over 75 different OneTIME Tools. You can see them below. You’ll also see in the top row the one or two tools now available for order. Check them out! If you see a retired OneTIME Tool you like click hereto be notified if we do another run. If there's enough demand, we may re-run some of these tools.
    Get New OneTIME Tool Notifications. Currently, a new OneTIME Toolis offered every few weeks. The best way to be informed about upcoming tools is to receive notifications by email. We call this our Eclub. Click here to get on the list.
    Let us Know??? If there's enough demand, we may re-run some of our OneTIME Tools. If you're interested, please click here to leave us your comments. Thanks.

Whatever they choose to call what they're doing, I'm happy that they're doing it. I'll buy their tools when they offer what I might need or, sometimes, when it's something that's just cool enough that I want one whether I need it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Woodpeckers’ Program is Unique Among Manufacturers of Woodworking TOOLs.[/h]Here’s How It Works. For each new OneTIME Tool we make a few samples and photograph it. We then offer it for sale for just a few weeks. After the order window closes, we prepare for a single production run and make only enough to fill the orders. When the tools ship, we retire it from our product line.

Let us Know??? If there's enough demand, we may re-run some of our OneTIME Tools. If you're interested, please click here to leave us your comments. Thanks.
    [/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
    See! It is not really one time: "If there's enough demand...."

Their words not mine (this is the first time I read their remarks). So what they really want to say is (May be) One Time Tool, or MBOTT.

In other words, "When the tools ship, we retire it from our product line." is just another joke when it comes to retiring tools. It is not really retirement, but (may be) retirement.

Imagine this: A One-time 100 Anniversary Tool can come to the market 100 times or more...if subsequent demand is there!

Simon

And a footlong Subway sandwich is not 12". Life is full of stuff like this. I don't let it bother me.

Could be that when they trademarked the name it was their intention to only offer it one time. It has evolved and they are still rolling with it because the name stuck. They are honest in the description about what is going on. I'm ok with that
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 11-21-2018 at 7:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    You may not think so, but "limited edition", OTT, etc. are common marketing tricks or labels producers of all kinds of premium goods use to entice and attract sales. OTT is often taken to mean production is one-time and you won't have a second chance to get the SAME thing if you miss it. Of course, not in the case of WP's. It is a trick played on people's mind. "Limited Edition" is used a lot in the auto industry and the LE model fetches higher prices too.

Simon
    If you want me to agree that the vast majority of advertising is deceiving I certainly will. If there are guys out there with rooms filled with red tools using them as asset planning for retirement I would say they should have bought Franklin Mint plates instead, at least there always will be some grandmas on eBay that will want a limited edition plate with a cute cat on it. The fine print is there for the WP OTTs if one doesn't read it so be it. The one thing I never recall seeing is a single post on any forum where someone that bought a WP OTT is actually upset they reran it. I put this in the same category as people that wouldn't buy a Sawstop because of Steve Gass perceived unethical behavior or bought an "Industrial" Sawstop thinking they were getting a real industrial level saw. Its a light weight 10" cabinet saw with a sheet steel base for gosh sake. I generally see the backlash against advertising as a quixotic quest of the highest order.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Anyone that connects retirement with any degree of finality must never have heard of Brett Favre. But he took grief too. Oh, and I went to The Who's final concert tour in 1982! They recorded the live album Whos Last during the NA tour. I saw them again on tour in 2013.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Well I am the idiot who ordered this gizmo! I did not order the extension set as I just use pencil marks and vary the slot spacing to accommodate any errors. The reason I ordered it is due to my frustration with edge joining operations. No matter how careful I am I get too much variance in the slots and the tops are no where near flush when joined. I attended the Festool class in Ohio and had them check my unit out but they could not come up with a solution. I have the Seneca? plate and it works better but I dislike using the Domino upside down. Have been using my DowelMax for critical joining - slow but accurate. Hoping the WP unit will solve my issues as it is considerably wider and longer than the Domino fence. Yea it is a lot of money for a fence!

As to other One Time Tools some are kind of crazy! The current new tool is the multi-angle poly gauge for $99. Was looking at my new Lee Valley catalog last night and theirs is virtually identical for 1/3 the price. Yes the WP item will be impeccably finished. Another is the latest slab flattening tool starting at $699! $899 with extensions!!! Think if I ever needed to do that I would quickly assemble one out of scrap lumber. A few of the OTT hand tools have proven their worth to me. Just take the time to figure out if you will really use the toolprior to ordering.
    Last edited by Peter Kuhlman; 11-22-2018 at 7:14 AM.

It absolutely falls into the category of an accessory to the Domino that you don't need. The Domino is a self-sufficient tool and really doesn't need many devices to assist it in doing the job for which it is designed. However, the offset base, is a great assist. The Domino is much more stable when the base is mounted on the tool, thus making it almost impossible not to keep the tool in place. So, the whole set is, for sure, a complete extravagance, but the base falls into the category of a valuable accessory for some. As for the extensions, they may have some use if you are a woodworker who works with a lot of sheet goods and needs to make slots on mass produced or repetitive projects made of plywood.

The only jig I have purchased for my Domino is the Domiplate from Seneca ...

DOMIPLATE FOR 1/2" AND 3/4" NOMINAL PLY

Very useful it is too.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    What’s a domino
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Brian,

It's what us hack cabinet makers call mortise and tenon.

Or it's a tool that does in seconds what takes you maybe minutes lol

In all seriousness I use one all the time at work but like CNC I loath the dam thing. Just dumbing down donthing that's easy enough.

Making my boss money makes me money though. Then I get to buy things like kiyohisa's and Makas's that make the whole ordeal seem like fun again lol..

Happy thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    What’s a domino
    A handheld Maka that makes more aerodynamic mortises...

Can u was tempted to say the same thing but it's thanksgiving and I actually really like brian.

Not only is he talented but he is also very very and I'll add a third very nice guy.