Thread: Chinese 150 watt laser power supply ground fault please help

Chinese 150 watt laser power supply ground fault please help

I bought a 150 watt Chinese laser used from an individual that had bought it from Rabbit laser new. Any who... when i got it a few years ago i had to replace the power supply because the original was arcing and failed. so i purchased a P18 power supply and it has been working great until recently. I recently just started to get a ground fault message on the P18 power supply lcd which made the laser power supply shut off in the middle of a few projects but the machine continued to run. The power supply finally just went out totally. So i ordered a new power supply DY20. I went to hook it up and turn it on and it is tripping the internal breaker. So i started trouble shooting starting from the breaker to make sure i was getting the 220V or 110v from each. This was fine all the way to the power supply. I can unhook the wires from the power supply and turn it on no problem. I can hook up the ground and 1 x 110v by itself (either leg) into either 110v position and it doesn't trip the internal breaker. As soon as i hook them all 3 up both 110's(220) and ground it will trip the breaker when i turn on power supply. this is with or without anything else hooked to the power supply. i have traced down all wires making sure nothing is cut(shorting out) and to make sure all connections are tight. I also replaced the internal breaker with a new one just incase it was bad still no difference. not sure how many more times i can say power supply lol... ugh.... Sorry for the terrible typing im tired from doing this all night.... I hope there might be something easy or simple i might be missing... Thanks in advance for any help with this issue. I am by no means a professional but i can usually find a problem when it arises. This one has got me stumped for now.

Good night,
    Wade Cook
    Cook's Creative Edge
    https://www.facebook.com/CooksCreativeEdge

I am a little confused because the specs for that power supply is either 110 OR 220 vac. So what are you running it on? Is it a true dual voltage machine? What does the instructions tell you?

On 220 (240) volts you only need 2 wires, L1 & L2 and a green or equipment ground to the frame. On 110 (120) volts you need a L1 or Black wire and a White wire Neutral plus a green or equipment ground to the frame.

Frankly I would really be concerned about the number of power supplies you have replaced.... not normal. Ray Scott at Rabbit Laser USA can sell you a OEM PS and perhaps help with your problem.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Bill,
    it is a 220v L1 & L2 and green ground. Sorry i try my best to convey this in text. The first power supply just went bad because of the flyback transformer arcing out. This one P18 lasted 2-3 years before it started the ground fault issue. so its 1 power supply that i have went through. 2 in total but the first one i felt like wasn't really related to this type of ground fault issue. Thank you. I will try to contact Ray.
    Last edited by Wade Cook; 11-21-2018 at 11:03 AM.

What are you grounded to? And, does the internal breaker in the PS act more as short circuit protection, or as a GFI (or both)? I'm just wondering if your line-in shop wiring has a ground fault and that's tripping the breaker...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle