Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible 2nd cyclone

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    You'd know it. I once had half a 55 gallon can of dust tornado out of the can because the lid wasn't seated properly. Huge messy cleanup to follow.
    Agree with Roy! If you have a leak, you'll know it. I did once and packed the entire filter stack completely. Was a gigantic mess to deal with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    It's astounding just how much & how tightly dust can pack into a filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    It's astounding just how much & how tightly dust can pack into a filter.
    And the bigger the fan the worse the mess. It literally took me about 2 hours to get back to square 1.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yea...."been there, done that". Sadly, multiple times over the years. Nasty cleanup task!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yea...."been there, done that". Sadly, multiple times over the years. Nasty cleanup task!
    Yikes and zounds! I've yet to experience that particular joy, either from a poor seal or an overflow. Knocking on Bubinga.

As for something knocking around inside, one of the joys of the ClearVue is having someone dump stuff into a duct and watching the swirl inside the cone. Not only does it provide kinetic artistic entertainment, it provides instant feedback on the seals and efficiency of the system when first setting it up. I'm always amazed at how long the talcum-fine dust swirls as it ever-so-slowly works it way towards the bottom. Going in the closet while it's running does require good hearing protection!

JKJ

Something to keep in mind is that a cyclone like ductwork has drag or in other words they have a static pressure loss that reduces flow. If you add a second cyclone inline you add the flow loss of several inches at least and you have that much less draw at your machine.

Expanding on the leaning the cyclone over to gain headroom. A 72" cyclone leaned over to 45 degrees will be about 51" high. That would give you almost a foot and a half plus taller drum space below the bottom of the cone opening to play with. Remember tornados lean over too.

Mike I also own a Grizzly cyclone. Mine is the five horse one,GO442 (I think). What is this "sleeve " you are talking about ? I do not have anything that goes in my bin except the bag. I also have been using 3 mill contractor bags in mine lately. I switched one the other day and noticed it swirled up in to the cyclone inlet when I first fired it up. I am going to drop a piece of scrap 2x4 or whatever in the bag next time.

Its a smaller barrel with no top or bottom, sits inside the collection bag in side the collection drum so the back doesn't get pulled into the cyclone.
    I have learned since the original post that its not needed with the thick bags that came with the cyclone...maybe I'll need it when I go to a lighter bag.
    I don't see it on grizzly's website so maybe since I got mine 4 or 5 years ago when I got the machine they've stopped offering it.

Has anyone tried an intermediate dust separator--PVC lid that fits on a 33 gal (IIRC) trash can-- between the machine and the cyclone?? I have one and never used it. I have a big planing/milling project coming up and my cyclone empties into a 55 gal drum in an attached shed. I welded axels and wheels for easy mobility but emptying(and being more mindful over overfills) of a smaller container next to the planer makes sense if the separator works as advertised. Any experience out there and would this be a good application for the OP's dielma??

I believe it's been mentioned before but there's already a certain load on the system with the existing cyclone and adding another separator in front could be detrimental to performance.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There would also be the restriction of the 4” ports on the lid. Those lids have more resistance than a cyclone so would be a worse solution than a second cyclone.

Good to know! Anyone want a separator lid??