Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible 2nd cyclone

Possible 2nd cyclone

I currently have the grizzly 3hp cyclone running my dc system, its fantastic...but.
    Due to my 8' ceiling I have to use the small drum for collection. This is a pain when planing.
    I was wondering if another cyclone like the Super Dust Deputy with 6" ports on top of a larger drum between my planer and current cyclone would be too much to ask of the grizzlys 3hp or not.
    Other than cutting up my ceiling and lifting the current cyclone all ideas welcome ☺

Blog Entries
    Me thinks that would really kill your airflow. I've got the same issue with my V-5000 & an 8' ceiling. The drum is just 35 gal. & it fills up real fast when planing or jointing.

I guess an airlock & conveyor would solve the problem, but... $$$$

I was worried about the airflow and I don't have the $$$ so I guess it'll just be a continuing hassle of emptying...1st world problems 😃

I built my shop with 9' ceilings and the 5-hp ClearVue with a 30-gal trashcan bin barely fits with about 6" of space above.

I've read of people cutting up the ceiling. That would put the motor up into a hole so cooling ventilation would have to be considered.

Also, I read on the ClearVue forum about someone who mounted the cyclone at an angle under an 8' ceiling. Said it separated just as well. Would look a bit odd!

JKJ

55 gallons of planer shavings = easy to lift. But 55 gallons of cnc cuttings and sander dust = back breaking.
    So my cyclones 55 gal drum was gladly replaced with a 33 gal drum that I have to empty more often-but is lighter and uses much cheaper regular contractor trash bags from the box store!

Sean, what thickness are those bags and do you have any problems with those bags being torn by the sleeve that goes in the container?
    I was thinking where I was going to put the 2nd cyclone in line would only be planer chips but I currently dump the chips out of the thick bag that came with the cyclone.
    If I was to just pull the bag out, replace it and not transfer that would be worth doing.
    Great tip just got to find the right bag.
    Thanks

Mike they are 3 mil 42 gal contractor bags. I don’t use a sleeve, instead I use a fish air pump with the suction pulling between the bag and the drum and the discharge dumping to the cyclone inlet. It’s wired to the contactor for the cyclone with its own appropriate circuit breaker so that it runs when the cyclone does. Never sucked a bag with this setup, even with some minor leakage at the drumhead where the bag creases are pinched between the head and the drum.
    Cheers
    Sean

If you have enough space for a wye connection under the cone, you could go to a two 35 gallon drum setup.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If you have enough space for a wye connection under the cone, you could go to a two 35 gallon drum setup.
    Yes, this.

Double Bin.JPG

With your height restriction it may not be possible. I will echo the logic behind a smaller barrel. I could fit the larger but, didn't want to lift that much spoil at a time. You could also consider building a box of your own with greater capacity that would fit the shape under the cyclone. Again, it will hold more but . . . you gotta empty it.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-21-2018 at 9:19 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Jim and Glenn the space under my cyclone does kill that idea...the more I hear I think I'll stick to my current set up and just go with the contractor bags.
    My cyclone has a tube fom the cyclone to the drum...I will try running without the sleeve and see what happens.
    Thanks for all the input guys.

Just be sure you have 100% seal between the cyclone and whatever you put under it. Even the tiniest air leak will cause blow-by and do a number clogging up your filter(s)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've been meaning to reseal it. Every once in a while I'll hear a larger piece rattle around in the cyclone...I don't know if that's a symptom of that or not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcilroy View Post
    I've been meaning to reseal it. Every once in a while I'll hear a larger piece rattle around in the cyclone...I don't know if that's a symptom of that or not.
    Sometimes if a piece is just the right size, density, or whatever that it will spin around in there for a while. Once I sucked up a 2x4 offcut & banged around in there until I shut down the blower.

I just swapped the bag out because it was full again, left the sleeve out and also added 4 clamps to the drum lid (the turnbuckle latches couldn't be tightened anymore and seemed a little loose)...performance seemed good, no money invested so I think I'll call it a win.

Quote Originally Posted by mike mcilroy View Post
    You'd know it. I once had half a 55 gallon can of dust tornado out of the can because the lid wasn't seated properly. Huge messy cleanup to follow.