Thread: Minimax mortise attachment or stand alone machine

Minimax mortise attachment or stand alone machine

I am deciding between these two options for a slot mortiser. I have space at the moment for the stand alone machine and I already have the fs41e jointer/planer. Actually I would have a little more room to work with that stand alone machine. My question for those with experience with either or both is whether the extra weight of the mortiser attached to a 1000lb machine provides a better quality mortise than a 300-400 lb mortiser?

Additionally, has anyone seen or used the Maksiwa fh16c horizontal mortiser? I suspect it is too lightly made to be worth it. Never hurts to ask for opinions though.

Thanks

Michael

Although Im not in your league of machines, I'll throw this in. I have an FS30 Smart and the mortise attachment mounts on the front of the machine. Reaching around it while using the J/P is a pain. I could mount and dismount the mortiser, but it weighs a ton and I have not convenient place to store it. Also, since I got the Domino XL, I rarely, if at all, have use for the mortiser.

I use the mortiser on my older model FS35 quite often. It sits on the back of machine so it's not in the way when using the J/P. If the mortising attachment for your machine mounts on the front, and you don't plan to use it very often, I would go with a stand alone machine if for no other reason than the pain of having to remove it to comfortably use the J/P. The mortiser works well enough on mine but the table is quite small so you need additional support for any work piece that's very long or wide. The biggest disappointment for me is that the maximum shank diameter the chuck holds is 5/8" and if you try to use a larger diameter cutter than that it will slip in the chuck. The Wescott chuck on these mortisers don't get much grip on the bit.

Have you considered alternatives to a horizontal mortiser? Mine anyway is very slow and takes considerably more effort to use compared to my shop built horizontal router mortiser. For anything up to 1/2" x 2" deep that machine is far faster and easier to use. A Domino would have a similar speed advantage. I use the horizontal mortiser because I can cut wider and deeper mortises more easily than with my router mortiser. If not for that, I wouldn't use it at all. If you've considered all the alternatives and have concluded a horizontal mortiser is right for your needs, I would go with a stand alone machine unless price is an overriding consideration. And I would go with one with the largest and most robust table you can afford.

John

Thanks Derek and John for your responses. The mortiser mounts on the rear of my j/p so no worries about removing it. I already have the smaller domino machine so I was thinking of using this for the larger mortises. However, with the small table and fiddly set-up that might not be ideal.

Derek, do you find that the quality of your larger domino mortises is as good as that of your mortiser attachment?

Michael, the mortises from the Domino XL are dead on every time I use it. As with the smaller Domino, you can leave play in the joints or have it fit tight enough to pop when you remove the tenons during test fits. I've used it for large table base and tops, to a solid hardwood door. No, it can't do traditional mortise and tenon joints, however if it's not an issue to have them, the XL is all I use.
    It's also a huge time saver, both in cutting the mortises, as well as not having to cut the tenons. Also, set up is basically marking where the Dominos will go. I like the fact that everything is cut to finish length and so marking becomes a test fit as well. Hope this helps.

I’ll second Derek’s opinion about the Domino. I owned a FELDER FD 250 for a few yrs and I really liked it. Nice machine, accurate and also used it as a horizontal boring machine when used with drill bits. BUT, I just got tired of carrying the wood to the machine. It may not sound like a big deal but if you plan to build any type of large doors like entry or interior doors you will quickly find it a pain. Especially if you are in a smaller space. I have a nice size shop but I still used to bang into a few things swinging lumber around.

I decided to to go to the XL 700, I already had the 500 and after trying one out decided I’d sell the floor model mortiser and buy the Domino. You bring the machine to the work instead of the other way around. It makes building large pieces easier.

In the classifieds there is a fellow selling a nice router mortiser. I can’t remember the name but he’s not ask much for what he has. It uses a router and hold downs. Router Master or something like. They are nice machines if your not going the Domino route. Go to your local Festool dealer and take a 700 for a test run. You’re going to like it.

Good of luck with whatever you choose, moving to a mortiser is a great step forward in your woodworking.

Edit. The fellow sold the Multi Router today.
    Last edited by Ben Abate; 11-21-2018 at 1:48 PM.
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing