Thread: Battery powered stair climbing dolly

Battery powered stair climbing dolly

I’ve mentioned this before but since I just rented one to move my bandsaw I thought I’d post about it again. This is a Lectro-truck battery powered stair climber, i couldn’t find model number but I think it can lift 1200 pounds. It’s powerd by rechargeable batteries and uses an acme rod to move the wheels up and down. There are two buttons on top that move the wheels up or down. Basically you alternate pivotting the dolly on the wheels (which lock) and the bottom of the dolly, where the flat plate is that hold the load.

The bandsaw i moved last weekend weighed about 650 pounds. And there was more stress and anxiety than hard work. The move up the stairs went smoothly. Basically a one man job but having an extra set of hands to watch the load to make sure it had enough purchase on the stairs was needed.

As you can see the dolly also has a flip out tripod which is very helpful for flat surfaces.

Rental cost was $70 for 4 hours, which is more expensive than when I rented about 4-5 years ago. Still, it’s hard to put price on safety. 4 big guys, brute force, and a standard dolly could probably move it but I wouldn’t want to be on the bottom end of 650 pounds of steel.

Hopefully this thread inspires some basement shop woodworkers tosee that a bigger bandsaw (jointer, planer, etc) is possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt Day; 11-20-2018 at 2:55 PM.

This is good information! Within a year I hope to be moving out of my basement shop.

That's the aluminum version. There is also a solid steel one that is rated for 1,500#. I bought one off CL several years ago for $100 - cost me another $3-400 for parts and a new battery to get it working properly. As my house has bulkhead access to the basement I wouldn't be without it now - I singlehandedly moved an 850# metal lathe out to the driveway in about 10 minutes with it.

It's amazing how many new friends you can make when word gets out you have one of these beasts!

Still, it’s hard to put price on safety. 4 big guys, brute force, and a standard dolly could probably move it
    A cold shiver goes down my spine every time I read/hear someone recommend hiring three or four "husky lads", for a couple twelve packs, to move something heavy.

"Stuff" over 300 pounds has a mind of it's own when it gets to moving & in todays litigious society,,,,,you risk losing your future by doing that.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Thanks for posting this. It's good to know.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Glad some of you might find these useful.

That's awesome! How could I have survived so many stupid moves without knowing such a machine exists?

Well let me share one story;

My wife and I slid a 300 pound bandsaw down the stairs flat in it's box. About 24" x 66" x 12" using my grandfather's best 1/2" manila rope wrapped around the trailer hitch with us sitting side by side on the top step. The 80 year old rope snapped and we fell back while the box slid down and landed flat on the floor. My wife was holding the end of the rope and her expression was priceless. High fives and laughter followed, with no harm done and the task completed.

But next time...

These type of powered stair climbers are commonly used by companies that sell and install safes and wood stoves. They are brilliant tools that provide safety!

Thanks.....I have never seen one of these.

These are great dolly's. When I was working I purchased one from Stair Climber. They worked fantastic, saved on back injury's for our employees. We were also able to take them home for our own use. I used it numerous times. I moved a 16 cubic foot refrigerator up and down steps by my self with ease. If you lose power (battery runs down) when going up steps this particular one would allow you to go back down the steps to recharge the battery. I'm sure you can rent them somewhere. I would highly recommend one if you are moving a heavy appliance or machinery.

new to me never seen one.

40 years ago I took a progress 8 foot stroke sander into a basement. As fit and strong as I was at the time my elbows were mad at me for six months. Too much stress on them I guess. Feel guilty thinking of some of the things ive moved or lifted. 300 lbs hardly registers unless its a transformer then you notice. The last heavy stuff moved I used a block and tackle. Even if meant to be worked vertical it worked very well. You can control it up or down at your own pace. If the travel is far you will exhaust its limit, then just keep the machine chained in place and re hook up the block and tackle further down and go through it again.

ddd.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 11-22-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    A cold shiver goes down my spine every time I read/hear someone recommend hiring three or four "husky lads", for a couple twelve packs, to move something heavy.

"Stuff" over 300 pounds has a mind of it's own when it gets to moving & in todays litigious society,,,,,you risk losing your future by doing that.
    300 pounds is portable.