Thread: Railings and banisters

Railings and banisters

Good morning all. My wife and I are in the middle of a whole home update. Next on deck are railings, spindles and banisters. We have a house in the midwest that was built in the early 90s, which means every piece of wood in the place is honey oak. She wants to do a gel stain on the railings and banisters and white paint on the spindles and floor trim. Like this:
    95e3c651b42a4606ed5b7fc239c80b59.jpg

Would you do the white paint or the gel stain first?

If you are working in place, it is generally best to proceed from the top down - finishes don't drip up.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Along the same lines as James's comments, doing the gel stain first allows you to "clean up" at the edges with the white paint since you WILL get stain on the balusters as you do the underside of the bannister. I'd also get your clear on the bannister/newel before you do the white.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tape is your friend. I would tape off the top of the balusters before applying gel stain to the handrails. That way you can focus on doing a good job of staining and finishing those w/o worrying about what gets onto the balusters. When the handrail finish has cured a couple of days you can tape off where they balusters and then paint.

John