Thread: kumiko jigs

kumiko jigs

I'm going to try my hand at Kumiko. Starting with making the jigs, but I'm confused. Watching tutorials on line, the 67.5 angle jig has a long angle and the 22.5 has a short angle. Mike Pekoviches jigs (of fine woodworking magazine) shows the 67.5 angle as the short angle and the 22.5 angle as the long angle. I'm taking a class with Mike in December and would like to practice some Kumiko before I go.

Thanks Mike

I had to google Kumiko, looks like fun!

Seems hard to get confused

kumiko.jpg

I would not be surprised if there's more than one way to cut and assemble; regional variations exist in Japanese woodworking.
    Shoot Mike P an email for clarification on what he'll teach/use.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Quote Originally Posted by mike johnston View Post
    I'm going to try my hand at Kumiko. I'm taking a class with Mike in December and would like to practice some Kumiko before I go.

Thanks Mike
    Were are you taking the class at if I may ask?

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Richard I'm taking the class at Connecticut valley school of woodworking. Mark the confusion was in the way I would see other people make the jigs. they would butt the jig against a 45% block on the miter saw and set the saw at 22.5% resulting in a long angle of 67.5%

Quote Originally Posted by mike johnston View Post
    Richard I'm taking the class at Connecticut valley school of woodworking. Mark the confusion was in the way I would see other people make the jigs. they would butt the jig against a 45% block on the miter saw and set the saw at 22.5% resulting in a long angle of 67.5%
    Mike, I could probably be more helpful if i saw a photo or drawing, it is hard to understand what the confusion is.

The angles are not confusing; they are what they are.

The jigs used to cut them can vary, you can set-up to cut the angles in many ways, chisels, handplane, tablesaw, miter saw, handsaw, shooting board. all of the jigs could be different for each method; to give clearance for keeping your hands clear of the blades or so the wood is secure etc.

The best way to get a good answer is to supply us with good information, and a drawing or photo of the setup makes it instantly clear what the situation is, and we may be able to offer an explanation of why someone would use that setup.
    For instance in the drawing below ( overhead view ) of a miter saw with a 45 degree block and a the saw set at 22.5 . You can set several different angle blocks in different ways to cut both angles and it will depend on clearance and handspace etc.
    But the long angle will still be 22.5

so the only thing that i can suggest is do a drawing to help me understand.

kumiko2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images