Thread: Does anyone know what "Amazon's choice" means

Blog Entries

Does anyone know what "Amazon's choice" means

When looking at various items on Amazon I often see something that is marked "Amazon's choice" .The cynic in me thinks it's Amazon's choice because they make the highest profit on that item . Does anyone know how Amazon determines its choice?
    Dennis

the cynic in me thinks it's there most profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Gaskin View Post
    the cynic in me thinks it's there most profitable.
    I know right where you're coming from. In fairness to Amazon, the times I've bought Amazon's Choice, I have been satisfied with the product.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I'm sure that healthy margin is involved, but like Fredrick, I've not had a disappointment with anything listed as "Amazon's Choice" yet if that's what I chose to buy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It's an algorithmically determined badge.

The item which is most often purchased by folks using your search term if it has low returns and no other sales quality problems is so badged if there's enough sales data to support the badging.

So, yes, it is Amazon's most profitable, because it costs them less in returns because the folks who buy it are usually happy with it.

It's an algorithmically determined badge.
    And based on my unofficial research lately, it does seem 'arithmetically determined' also fits... I've been doing a lot of searching online for a particular gift for the wife, on Amazon and everywhere else. Got an email from Amazon the other day, 'based on your recent searches blah blah', here's Amazon's choice... The Amazon price tag was $1009.99... The same item I can get many other places for $699.99.

I buy a LOT of stuff from Amazon, and usually the prices are within a few percentage points of ebay and others if not the cheapest, but $1010 is a 44% bump from everyone else...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    here's Amazon's choice... The Amazon price tag was $1009.99... The same item I can get many other places for $699.99.
    BOL (burst out laughing) on this! So much for the algorithm hype.

Thank you!

Simon