Thread: Sliding Lid Box

Sliding Lid Box

I had a few pieces of pallet wood kicking around so I figured I would do something with them. Walnut and I think sycamore with a plywood bottom that I covered in fabric. Finished with shellac and wax.

IMG_20181118_135744.jpgIMG_20181118_135953-01.jpgIMG_20181118_135900.jpg

They are nice! And one of those things that everyone likes. Deciding what deserves to live in them requires serious thought !

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    They are nice! And one of those things that everyone likes. Deciding what deserves to live in them requires serious thought !
    Thank you. This one will go to my dad for Christmas. At some point I'd like to make myself one

That's some of the best use of pallet wood I've ever seen. Nice!

Hey, do you know about getting "exotic" pallet wood? I was at a granite place once and they guy showed me a big bin inside full of rough sawn wood, mostly full 2x4s. They tore down pallets and put the pieces in the bin where anyone could look through them and take what they wanted.

I got a bunch once and there was some very nice wood, dense, some with nice figure and color. No way to know what kind of wood - they probably used anything they could get. Since all this granite and marble comes from overseas the wood is all "exotic" to us. And free! If you have such a place near you it might be worth asking.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    That's some of the best use of pallet wood I've ever seen. Nice!

Hey, do you know about getting "exotic" pallet wood? I was at a granite place once and they guy showed me a big bin inside full of rough sawn wood, mostly full 2x4s. They tore down pallets and put the pieces in the bin where anyone could look through them and take what they wanted.

I got a bunch once and there was some very nice wood, dense, some with nice figure and color. No way to know what kind of wood - they probably used anything they could get. Since all this granite and marble comes from overseas the wood is all "exotic" to us. And free! If you have such a place near you it might be worth asking.

JKJ
    Thanks! My work has a lot of pallets so every once in awhile one catches my eye. Maybe I'll look around and see. I try to limit myself on the pallet wood because I hate lugging them around and breaking them down.