Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Thinning the herd - your take?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Rob, it is all about what makes you feel comfortable in whatever stage you are in now. Sure, we could all do more with less. Sure, there may be some validity to the concept that we may have some shiny-object-hoarding-tendencies or, restated, have more than we need. BUT i doubt having too many tools is hampering us from actually doing more work with wood. Life is a journey and sometimes we might overindulge a bit, but if it is filling a need at the time, then that is not necessarily bad.

If you think thinning the herd will make you feel better, then that is the thing to do. If your motivation is to maximize the monetary return, and think you will roll over in your grave if the kids don’t value those things the same as you, then focus on that. Objects don’t have feelings - or so i am told - but if someone acquires from your estate one of your cherished possessions for a song, and it goes to a happy/thrilled/loving home, i am not so sure that is a “bad” thing.

Just some thoughts from a fellow traveler; ya gotta do what is best for you at this stage of the journey. Tomorrow will be here soon enough, but no guarantee we will be here to see it. Hence, don’t worry too much about what you cant control. Best, Patrick (who knows very little)
    Amen Patrick.

What is done with my time is mostly my own choice. Owning more tools than are needed for any specific task has never impeded me in doing anything.

Many of my cherished possessions have been purchased for a song at an estate sale. My main hope for my tools is they will continue to be used after my time with them is done.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

We all have vices. Mine happen to be collectables: old tools, firearms, American Civil War artifacts, books and my family.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.