Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw blade tension

I bought my bandsaw in 1980, and the tension on it is or has been released probably a dozen time, that is to install a new blade.

At times it sit for weeks without use, and there was or is ever any problem with that saw, works now as well as when new and after I added a riser block to it, sawed metal with it, for that I added a small motor and jack shaft.

If you believe the steel or bearings or the springs will deform, better have a look at your car, suspension rubber and springs sit for years and years, used or not and the bearings have the weight on it al the time as well.

Here is my 4 speed saw, where I added the riser block and the low speed setup to, also an easy add-on to make me able to roll the saw around, just the tension bold is getting rusty by never being used

low speed setup.jpg high wood and steel low speeds .jpg movable saw setup .jpg riser block.jpg tension bolt rusty.jpg
    Have fun and take care

It is one of the biggest (mostly) myths regarding bandsaws, but it has sold a lot of quick releases...

The only real benefit is it prevents poor quality tires from taking a set and thumping for a while until the spring back out.

There was a youtube video that pontificated that you need to release tension or else the day/night temperature shifts would work harden the blade. I ask if he lived on Mercury, because if this happened on Earth all or steel bridges and buildings would be falling down around us. Undeterred he maintained he had "seen it".

I release tension only when I change a blade, I know one of my saws has the blade constantly under a tension of ~30k psi for over 9 years with no ill effects that I can see.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have a 24" with 1" blade that hasn't had tension in at least 18 years

16" Ive been using about once a year and take tension off after use.

tension reminder

Someone mentioned the possible disaster of forgetting to re-tension before starting the saw.

Mine has a big quick tension release lever. After seeing this in another thread I made one. Great idea for those who release tension on occasion.

tension.jpg

I wish I could remember who posted it so I could give credit.

JKJ

I release the tension on my bandsaws every time I think about it. I believe that is twice this year.