Thread: end vise????

end vise????

Just starting to make a work bench and was wondering, what is the difference between an end vise and a face vise? Can't an face vise be used on the end of the bench? Sure would cost less.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Go to my post about my Roubo with Lie-Nielsen end vise. It works beautifully. The issue with an end vise is typically you are going to use it for dog hole clamping, so you need something that is not going to rack. The LN twin screw works perfect for this. The Veritas twin screw also can be done this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colombo View Post
    Just starting to make a work bench and was wondering, what is the difference between an end vise and a face vise? Can't an face vise be used on the end of the bench? Sure would cost less.

Jim
    Jim,

short answer, yes you can. Long answer is do you really want a end vise. Some love ‘em others like myself know there are better,cheaper, and quicker ways to do the end vise job.

ken

Use mine every day....
    bottom groove.jpg
    planed square.jpg
    Even holds my Stanley 45, while I change the set up on it..
    spur-less.jpg
    YMMV...

I simply added wood jaws with dog holes....not that big of a deal...

In simple terms, using simple screws, the end vise screw is longer. Beyond this simple approach you can get very fancy with double screw end vises, quick release face vises etc. You are adding more metal and more money.
    You save time on vise construction but installation eats into time saved.
    Look at the traditional Scandinavian bench for simple screws and very versatile vise holding. If that seems too hard then a captive tail Roubo may suffice. There is nothing hard about the Scandinavian face vise, the traditional tail vise is more challenging but even there you can buy simple metal solutions to the problem.
    Adding fancy vises adds a lot of money to your bench expense, simple screws not only keep costs down but can build a more versatile vise.
    Last edited by William Fretwell; 11-19-2018 at 3:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

For years and years and years and years, after metal bodied vises were the standard thing - that is, before the revival of some of the old designs like leg vises - the stock hand tool woodworking bench had a metal bodied face vise and a metal bodied end vise, and they worked just fine.

If you decide to take that approach, you just need to make sure that you choose a vise for the end vise that's got a pop up dog in the moving jaw. One small point of which to be aware: if you want to clamp a board shorter than the length of the vise mechanism under the bench (screw and rods), you'll need to use a filler block. Not a big deal, though.

I have a twin screw end vice and it's my only vice on the bench. If I have to clamp something along the face I use holdfasts in the legs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colombo View Post

Jim
    The short answer is yes, just about any woodworking vise can be adapted to be an end (or tail) vise.

After much consideration on this my conclusion is a simple vise such as my current one or a twin screw vise will be the most versatile for my methods of work. As to the racking, it can be handled:

Planing Thin Stock.jpg

A stack of spacers can even be used to manipulate the effects of racking.

Here is a link on my spacer stack:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?183743

The other consideration with an end/tail vise is using it to clamp boards along the edge for plowing, molding or edge or finish planing. Having a vise's dog(s) line up with a row of dog holes along the edge is an advantageous feature on any bench. With a wide twin screw vise it would make both left and right hand work feasible. Sometimes the grain runs better suited to left handed work.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-19-2018 at 8:56 PM. Reason: Added link to Anti-Rack Spacer Stack
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)