Thread: Anyone tried the Makita (or any other) cordless router?

Anyone tried the Makita (or any other) cordless router?

Home Depot has the 18V cordless hammer drill/impact driver/circular saw set on sale Friday for $399.
    Along with those tools, you get your choice of 2 more 18V cordless tools, one of which is the cordless compact router.

I can think of a million and one places where I could use that router!

I already have the Makita track saw & four 18V batteries, so, with the two the set comes with, I'd have six in total, so, run time isn't a concern.

I already own a DeWalt 611PK, which I'm up in the air what I'd do with if the Makita works well.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I already own a DeWalt 611PK, which I'm up in the air what I'd do with if the Makita works well.
    Dude...you can never have too many routers...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I love my Makita cordless router! It is so nice not to have a cord connected. I also normally don’t hook up my dust collector either to have total freedom of movement. I find I make less mistakes not having a cord or hose catch on things while routing. It is quiet, smooth and powerful for it’s size. Absolutely no complaints. Oh and I have I think 9 other routers!

Jim - - So right you are!

Peter - Thanks brother! I was hoping for the best here - - but - -rats, now I have to push back the bike purchase :|...oh well, can't peddle in the snow right? .

I've got one of those also. Its got a nice amount of power and the battery lasts for quite a while. If you have the 18V drill, two batteries, and quick charger its a great match.

I have 6 routers and I am close to having enough.

I own many Makita tools as well as Festool, Bosch etc.
    I needed to drill 5/16” holes in poured concrete this week - lots of them. The Makita hammer drill was not up to that task at all. I tried various new Bosch carbide bits but just not a useful tool for that. Not sure what else you would use a hammer drill for. Ended up using my Bosch SDS+ 36 volt tool and I could drill 20 holes in the time it took to drill 1 with the hammer drill. Proper tool for the job!
    You may have a better use and need for a hammer drill but if it is for drilling concrete I HIGHLY recommend an SDS tool.
    Pete

I just bought a cordless Makita circular saw. It's a rear handle saw with plenty of power (takes 2 18v batteries.) It probably doesn't last forever, but it is perfect for breaking down big stock in the parking lot.

A cordless router? Not needed for me personally.

A cordless router? Not needed for me personally.
    You know,,,,,that was my first impression a couple/three years ago when I got the DeWalt 611PK.
    Then I picked up the Makita cordless track saw - and fell in love with that thing.

The turning point came last week. I had to make some birch plywood doors to match existing ones from the 1950's.
    I used the cordless track saw to cut the doors to size, then I stuck a 3/16 roundover bit in the DeWalt 611 and just - kissed- the edges just enough to knock off the sharp edge.

The darned cord hung up a couple times and jerked the router just enough to leave a divot,,,nothing a few swipes of sandpaper wouldn't fix - - but still - - irritating.
    I looked longingly @ the track saw and thought about a cordless router....

Not sure what else you would use a hammer drill for.
    I already have two corded hammer drills - one Black and Decker ( I use this one to mix drywall mud and thin set - trying real hard to burn it up, but, it takes a licking and keeps on turning) and the other is a Bosch. Both of them work great for 1/4" Tapcons. Neither worked for 5/16" holes. I think 1/4" might be the limit for a hammer drill.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    The darned cord hung up a couple times and jerked the router just enough to leave a divot,,,nothing a few swipes of sandpaper wouldn't fix - - but still - - irritating.
    I looked longingly @ the track saw and thought about a cordless router....
    I know it's a bit off topic, but for me the way to fix that came from above! I mean I installed a pull down cord from the ceiling above my workbench and assembly table and I never have that problem anymore.

A lot cheaper than switching router

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Peter - Thanks brother! I was hoping for the best here - - but - -rats, now I have to push back the bike purchase :|...oh well, can't peddle in the snow right? .

NOOOOOO! BTW get a fat bike and you can crank in the snow just fine, I bet every bike shop has them up there. I want one and I don't even have sand or snow to ride in.

Unfortunately, just like routers, the correct number of bicycles is always N+1
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.