Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody have experience with Corian?

Anybody have experience with Corian?

I acquired a small slab of what I believe to be Corian, approx. 1/2" thick. I was going to make some 0 clearence inserts out of it for my table saw. My question is will Corian machine like hard wood with my woodworking tools? Will it hurt carbide router bits or carbide table saw blades? Can I cut it on my bandsaw which does not have carbide teeth or will it ruin the blade? Anybody have any experience with this stuff? Randy

A plastic countertop material, which I used to cut with a jigsaw and smoot with a router bit. Years ago and (blush) had to use black market because I was never certified. Shhhh.
    Look up the web site. It'll probably be ok. I never cut it with a table saw, but I'd be tempted to try it with a band saw.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    I have cut it with my TS with a fine tooth carbide bit. No problems. Did a whole shower enclosure using 1/4" sheet. I see no reason it wouldn't work fine as a ZCI. It is composed of acrylic polymer and alumina trihydrate (ATH), a material derived from bauxite ore.

https://www.solidsurface.com/working...utting-routing
    NOW you tell me...

I have ZCIs made from corion/solid surface material. Cuts just fine with carbide saw blades and router bits. I roughed out the blank on the bandsaw without issue

Used it throughout the 90s when it was new and trendy. Just be aware that it is a brittle material and fails by shattering. I don't recommend it for this application. Use something tougher. Cheers

We installed a Corian countertop and I still have bits and pieces. It'll work with common carbide cutting tools, I tried some on a band saw just to see. It cut fine, I imagine carbon steel blades wouldn't have a long happy life. I've seen table saw and band saw blade inserts made from solid surface materials but imagine plywood or MDF would be a better choice. I've found solid surface materials handy for the bottoms of outdoor wooden items like tables & chairs. I drilled and countersunk holes in bits of Corian and sanded (roughed up) one side. I epoxied and screwed the Corian bits on the bottoms of the wooden legs. It isn't affected by being wet. The places I've used it don't get slid around much but so far so good.

I have a corian ZCI and it works pretty good, though plywood is much easier. And cutting corian makes a big mess. Dust everywhere and little white chips that stick to everything. It wasn’t really worth the effort.

Also, corian doesn’t like taking screws, so if you plan to attach a z clip or something to keep it from lifting, or leveling set screws, you have to be very aware of blowout since it’s so brittle. Again, plywood is a lot easier and more forgiving. .

I use corian regularly for banjo and guitar nuts. In that application it is a substitute for bone, and handles very much like it. I cut it with regular bandsaw blades, no problem. It is hard and brittle as has been noted above. I have made my own bandsaw table inserts from 6061 aluminum, it's quite cheap on eBay if you can use small leftover pieces. I cut the aluminum with a retired wood cutting blade on the bandsaw, it works fine but dulls the teeth faster than wood, so i save blades that have begun to pull or wander in wood and use them to cut aluminum and brass much more slowly.
    Zach

Blog Entries
    My father made new fences for the shaper using 3/4" thick Corian. He did all the machining with woodworking tools. I have cut pieces with my TS using a carbide tipped blade. No ill effects other than snow like powder all over the place.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Back in the '80's, before granite became popular, or even available, solid surface countertops were the high end. I still have pieces left over from building kitchens back then, and have used it for all sorts of things, like specialized router bases, templates, jigs, and even built one shooting board out of it. It will dull blades some faster than hardwood, but no instant damage.

Solid surface material like Corian is a dream to work with when it comes to cutting and shaping. It will not hurt your cutters at all. I've been using it on my CNC but break it down on my slider, for example. BTW, it's a great choice for your inserts, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I refurbish table saws as a hobby (Us old guys get our kicks in some strange ways!) I use Corian for ZCI's, fence faces on my Biesemeyer clones, and would use it for right side table extensions if it wasn't so hard to come by used. Cuts fine but messy. No bulges between fasteners like UHMW can. Would need support if used for table extension to protect it from impact as it will shatter as noted. For sure smooth and slick. Don't plan on threading it for screws near the edge as it may come back to bite you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Brown View Post
    I refurbish table saws as a hobby (Us old guys get our kicks in some strange ways!) I use Corian for ZCI's, fence faces on my Biesemeyer clones, and would use it for right side table extensions if it wasn't so hard to come by used. Cuts fine but messy. No bulges between fasteners like UHMW can. Would need support if used for table extension to protect it from impact as it will shatter as noted. For sure smooth and slick. Don't plan on threading it for screws near the edge as it may come back to bite you.
    I would like to use it for a TS fence face to replace theUHMV. How did you fasten it? Could you drill pilot holes and use sheet metal screws or would you need to tap and thread the holes for machine screws?
    Last edited by Bernie Kopfer; 11-19-2018 at 12:01 PM.

In my experience cutting and shaping Corian is not a problem. I would NOT use it anywhere where it could be stressed and shatter. Very sharp pieces flying around.

Bernie,
    I drilled 7/16" holes with a Forstner bit just deep enough that the heads of self drilling screws with 5/16 hex heads are flush. Then drill a hole big enough through the rest of the Corian that the threaded part of the screw will slide through. Clamp the Corian to the fence in the proper spot, drive the screws with a drill with a torque setting just tight enough to set them and come back and check with a wrench if you think it's needed. This is for1/8" walled rec. tubing.