Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: choosing a table saw

choosing a table saw

im looking for a table saw and I wanted to get some advice on which one others prefer,,i have narrowed it down to the grizzly g0883p or the g1023rl both have a one year warranty and both are on sale now or the jet 725000k and woodcraft is giving 15 percent off now,,and the jet comes with a 5 yr warranty,,,thank you

I have an older Grizzly 1023 and like it. No experience with the Jet, so I can't offer a comparision.

Look carefully at SawStop. They are fine table saws with a great safety feature.

I have a Pm66 from the 60's. Cost me $400. I love it.

The simple answer to your specific question is get the 1023, which is a real cabinet saw. You are in an area where it also makes sense to look at used saws.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have a older Grizzly , it’s been a good saw. The one you’re looking at tilts left , like the older Powermatics.

I’d say get a Biesmeyer fence rather then the Grizzly fence , and IF possible one that allows 52” right of the blade.
    Build a good table around it with a generous out feed table and it will / should serve you well for many years.

Given those three choices, the 1023. It's a truer to form cabinet saw.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    Having almost cutting my thumb off many years ago, I would choose the Saw Stop.

Jeff,

IMO SawStop is the best option for an inexperienced ww'er. That said, I started ww'ing long before they were around. I learned safety and respect for the machine that also transferred over to other machines. And yes, I've been injured but not seriously.

My suggestion is to base your decision on

1) Power. It should have a true induction motor (they have belts) not a direct drive (like a circular saw). I recommend minimum 1 1/2HP, 2HP is better, 3HP is best.

2) Fence system. Biesemeyer type fence systems are the best although older model saws can have good fences.

3) Construction. The more cast iron, the better.

With that in mind, I'd be leaning toward the G1023. Be aware you will need 220V electric service for that saw.

Buying a used saw is another viable option.
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 11-19-2018 at 9:42 AM.

It wouldn't hurt to look around Craigslist for a month trying to find a good used cabinet saw. But what do you want the saw for? What do you plan on building? That info might help people make a recommendation.

I would buy the 1023.

CL pickings around that part of N.C. are as good as, or better than, most other places. I checked, and if you are willing to drive a little ways West, there is a good deal on a Jet cabinet saw, with a nice fence, and a Jessem router lift. There is even a Sawstop, if you are so inclined. The majority of my equipment has come off of CL, and a fair percentage of it from over that way.

I have the G0833P and it has done everything I've asked of it. I'm very happy with it. I got it because at the time I didn't have 220v/240v accessibility and the G0833P has the the option of being configured in 110v/220v. Now that I'm putting together a small shop, and have 220v/240v outlets, I would opt for the 1023RL.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    CL pickings around that part of N.C. are as good as, or better than, most other places. I checked, and if you are willing to drive a little ways West, there is a good deal on a Jet cabinet saw, with a nice fence, and a Jessem router lift. There is even a Sawstop, if you are so inclined. The majority of my equipment has come off of CL, and a fair percentage of it from over that way.
    There are some really good used machines in and around that cradle of furniture making. I have bought a lot of good used machines off I-40 between Greensboro and Asheville. Got a nice PM81 in Horneytown of all places.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    There are some really good used machines in and around that cradle of furniture making. I have bought a lot of good used machines off I-40 between Greensboro and Asheville. Got a nice PM81 in Horneytown of all places.
    I must be such a child, cause that made me laugh out loud.