Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strength required to convert a Hammer A3-31 Planer/Jointer???

Strength required to convert a Hammer A3-31 Planer/Jointer???

Hi all,

I am looking at getting a combo Jointer/Planer and have it pretty much narrowed down to the offerings from Mini-Max and the Hammer. The one thing that I am unsure of is the difficulty of raising the one-piece jointer table on the Hammer (the Mini-Max is a two piece). I'm a fairly petite 5-3 and I was wondering if anyone has experience with someone my size doing this conversion. This is a home/hobby shop, so it isn't critical that the changeover is fast, but it needs to be at least possible

Thanks in advance,

Elle

The Hammer A3-31 is well balanced. I can't imagine anyone having an issue lifting or closing the tables.

There is usually spring assistance so I don't anticipate you having issue in making the changeover. Choose the machine you feel best meets your needs for features, capacity and budget. I'm all MiniMax, but wouldn't be unhappy with Felder/Hammer I suspect.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The Hammer is spring-assisted. You'll have no difficulty, at all.

There is also a major benefit of being shorter when using a jointer/planer, less bending while planning!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Good question and good reason to only consider a new or recent vintage machine, the ones with lift assist. I have a 198X MiniMax FS35. It has no lift assist and the tables are pretty heavy to lift. I can see the day when I'm going to have to engineer some assist to be able to continue using it.

John

I got mine two months ago, as other have said, it's spring assisted in raising and lowering, equivalent to lifting a 2lb bag of sugar, if that

Elle, as others have said you'll have no problem converting from one function to another as the tables have springs to help with the operation.

You'll love the A3, I'm on my second one.

Regards, Rod.

Hello Elle, I know nothing about jointer/planers, but noticed this is your first post. Welcome to SMC!

Hopefully the table assist is easier than the Felder feeder tilt bracket. I spent the extra for the gas assist strut, and even then is a bit of a chore to lift and lower the comatic. To the point where i dont know if that will be a solo mission in another 30 years.

I havent touched a hammer J/P, but i would say contact felder and see if they can put you in contact with a local owner to go lift their tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I havent touched a hammer J/P, but i would say contact felder and see if they can put you in contact with a local owner to go lift their tables.
    This is good advise, regardless of the Felder/Hammer or MiniMax decision. Both companies cheerfully provide referrals to local owners to prospective customers...I've had many folks visit to see quality, etc., even when the specific machine they were considering was a different model.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Elle Sands View Post
    Hi all,

I am looking at getting a combo Jointer/Planer and have it pretty much narrowed down to the offerings from Mini-Max and the Hammer. The one thing that I am unsure of is the difficulty of raising the one-piece jointer table on the Hammer (the Mini-Max is a two piece). I'm a fairly petite 5-3 and I was wondering if anyone has experience with someone my size doing this conversion. This is a home/hobby shop, so it isn't critical that the changeover is fast, but it needs to be at least possible

Thanks in advance,

Elle
    Hi Elle,

I have the Hammer A3-31 and it's no problem raising the jointer table when converting to planing. Raising the planer table up into position takes a minute or so but the handwheel turns easily. About the only thing that requires any strength is positioning the Gear Lever handle when switching between planing and jointing. You have to put a little muscle into it. FWIW, I'm 5'7" and 67 years old.

EDIT: It's also worth mentioning JPs like the A3-31 are very heavy so you if it needs to be moved at all, you'll want a good mobile base. I have the Portamate 3500 and it works perfectly for my needs and makes moving the 700 lb JP a breeze. Another thing to consider is getting the JP off the shipping pallet(s). Some here have had the factory pallet stacked on two other pallets, which makes getting that machine down to the ground a challenge. I requested no additional pallets. Still, the factory pallet was sitting on another larger pallet. It's only a one time operation but it's an important one to consider.
    Last edited by Julie Moriarty; 11-19-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I have the Hammer A3-41 and it is no problem at all. Spring-assisted lifting helps.

Wow ... this is so much great information. Thanks so much!

A good mobile base is in the plans, so it sounds like my only issue now is getting one of these into my shop ... which, unfortunately has a perfectly sharp 12" drop between it and the driveway. I'm thinking that there may be some piano movers in my future.

Thanks again,

Elle

Hey Elle,

Though the tables are dual lifting, the table as a whole is easy to lift because of the high tension within the springs. These spring are there to assist the user with lifting the tables and helping them stay calibrated.
    You will not have any discomfort lifting the jointer tables and you're height won't play a factor in it. My wife is 5'1 and at one of the woodworking shows this past year that Chuck Bender was doing she was easily able to switch from the jointer to the planer and back to the jointer.

Tim

Edit: Went out and measured the weight, you're at 36 pounds total for the two tables around 10-15 inches from rest. In total you're coming up 35 inches.
    With the height you're at, you'll be at an advantage and with the springs, you can't even tell you're lifting the poundage mentioned.
    Last edited by Tim Derr; 11-20-2018 at 4:58 PM.