Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strength required to convert a Hammer A3-31 Planer/Jointer???

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Hopefully the table assist is easier than the Felder feeder tilt bracket. I spent the extra for the gas assist strut, and even then is a bit of a chore to lift and lower the comatic. To the point where i dont know if that will be a solo mission in another 30 years.
    Get one of the new(er) DC VS feeders Comatic makes (and paints in different colors too) not only will you fall in love with the feeder itself flipping it up and down will be MUCH easier. Most people that get one want to replace every feeder they have with one.

https://www.shopgearinc.com/products...speed-feeders/
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Elle Sands View Post
    Wow ... this is so much great information. Thanks so much!

A good mobile base is in the plans, so it sounds like my only issue now is getting one of these into my shop ... which, unfortunately has a perfectly sharp 12" drop between it and the driveway. I'm thinking that there may be some piano movers in my future.

Thanks again,

Elle
    Hi Elle, unless you have a reason to otherwise I really like the semi-live skid design of the Euro machines.

I suggest you buy their mobility kit and tow bar, it makes moving the machine easy, and the machine doesn't move once it's in place..............Regards, Rod.

If you need to move the machine for storage or even for use, i.e. to access your dust collection hose as it's one location for planing and the opposite side for jointing, think about whether it would be easy to do broadside.

I initially opted for the Hammer mobility kit about $210 with the kit and handle. Then I realized that it would be hard to store the machine in my shop as I like to wheel it in end first.

I went with a PortaMate 3500 ($140). I can wheel the machine around, through tight spaces and park it either end in or broadside. The machine is not heavy to move on a smooth floor.

Just a thought.

This was my A3-31 arriving and unpacking and putting it on the portamate base.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I have the equivalent machine in 16" from Felder. Don't have a problem converting between jointer and planer modes as tables move easily. Recent health problems have caused me to lose weight (no it is not a blessing) and I have the mobility kit Rod mentions. Unfortunately I no longer weight enough to tilt the machine back on its wheels. I can do "push ups" on the tow bar handle, but the machine doesn't tilt. I am around 100 pounds now, could tilt it with a little effort when I was 115.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Get one of the new(er) DC VS feeders Comatic makes (and paints in different colors too) not only will you fall in love with the feeder itself flipping it up and down will be MUCH easier. Most people that get one want to replace every feeder they have with one.

https://www.shopgearinc.com/products...speed-feeders/
    Hunh? You're putting a power feeder on a combo jointer-planer? What are you doing with it? Face-jointing? Edge-jointing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Hunh? You're putting a power feeder on a combo jointer-planer? What are you doing with it? Face-jointing? Edge-jointing?
    I use a feeder on the jointer if I have a lot of material to face joint. I turn my saw/shaper around and use the feeder mounted on it..........Regards, Rod.
    Jointing 1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I use a feeder on the jointer if I have a lot of material to face joint. I turn my saw/shaper around and use the feeder mounted on it..........Regards, Rod.
    I'm trying to visualize how that works. Say I'm face jointing a board that has bow. That is, for the first few passes, I'll be removing material at the front and the rear of the face. I don't want to be pressing down on the middle of the board with a feeder, because it will be bending the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I'm trying to visualize how that works. Say I'm face jointing a board that has bow. That is, for the first few passes, I'll be removing material at the front and the rear of the face. I don't want to be pressing down on the middle of the board with a feeder, because it will be bending the board.
    Hi Jamie, excellent question.

I simply set the downfeed pressure light enough that it will provide most, or all of the tractive force. When you have a hundred boards to run across the jointer it saves time and work.

There are jointer feeders built specifically for this function

Regards, Rod

Thanks again for all the great info. My shop is pretty small, so I think that I will end up having to move this unit every time I use it. That 3500 sure looks nice ... I'll be looking into it as a possibility.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all,
    Elle

I'm in the same situation, I have to move my my J/P every time I use it. Maybe I'm silly but I didn't care for the idea of pushing and pulling on the jointer tables so I came up with this. It works quite well. I can't spin it in a circle but mine comes straight out and goes straight back in so not an issue for me. If my machine sat flat against a wall the factory mobility kit would be better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. I find the tables to be much heavier than I expected on my A3 41, to the extent that I wondered if something wasn't installed correctly. The 36 pounds someone references above sounds about right to me, definitely not the two pound bag of sugar someone else mentions. (I didn't measure it). Not heavy enough to be a problem, just found it a bit surprising.

I agree with Brian — the tables on my A3/41 are heavier than I expected. There is a definite spring assist when lowering the tables, but I don’t notice any spring action during lifting. I’m 5’7” and 66 and sometimes worry about lifting the tables as I get older. Might need to head to the gym!

If you're close enough to a Felder office, I'd suggest taking a drive over and try it. I'm 1 1/2 hrs from their Wilmington, DE office and that's what I did when considering an FB510 bandsaw. All their popular tools are on the floor and can be demo'ed. I believe I saw an A3-31. If you're not close enough, they have a list of owners who agree to show the tools they own, and provide feedback. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Jointing 1.jpg
    Wow Rod how much are you taking off on each pass? That looks set for a really deep cut?