Thread: replacement oil cups

replacement oil cups

Picked up a very old lathe. It had a hardwood bed and double pillow block head stock with a pully meant for wide leather belts. The tail stock is a usual dead center and the banjo and tool rest appear very little used. One oil cup is still present over the pillow block closest to the business end of drive spindle. The oil cup over the other pillow block is broken off. It appeared to be 1/4 in diameter. This lathe appears to be a good candidate for restoration and perhaps turning into a treadle lathe. Which brings me to where can I find replacement oil cups?

MSC Direct. Google it for details. Filling them used to be my "job" 65 years ago. All manner of machine shop items. My favorites were reciprocating shapers.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Another source ,E-Bay “machine oil cup”.

many get replaced with a ball oiler which sits flush. Less likely to get broken off.
    Bill D.

If I make this into a treadle lathe, I want it to look as "old timey" as possible. With the oil cups it has, I figure it is probably turn of the 1900's give or take 20. I have yet to find any identifying marks anywhere on it. Strip the parts and paint it a nice black enamel with gold paint trim, brass oil cups it I can find em. Maybe leave the bed just varnished. It even has provision for out board mounting.

I would really like to see a picture, any chance ?

Well I had a little more time with it. It has MT2 tapers in both head stock and tail stock. It was originally black. 20181119_122022.jpg20181119_122016.jpg20181119_121919.jpg