Thread: New Workbench (Roubo) Finished

New Workbench (Roubo) Finished

I completed my new workbench last month. It took 20 months to complete. I wish it didn't take so long (but work, family, moving, house and yard projects all take time too). Nonetheless, I am glad it is done. I worked mostly by hand to make the top and the legs using a work table that I made with a solid core door. However, I did use some power tools along the way (e.g, table saw to rip the long boards and power drills for removing the waste for the mortises).

It is 72 inches long, 20.5 inches wide, 35 inches tall, the top is 2 3/4 inches thick. I used the Benchcrafted Classic leg vise hardware and the planing stop. I followed Benchcrafted's plans but deviated in some areas and used the plans from Schwarz's workbench book too. It is a bit of a Frankenstein bench, I used a combination of Ash and Douglas Fir. I originally intended to use Douglas Fir exclusively and bought the wood for it, but then I decided to mix in some Ash after realizing that I could afford it and the added weight and strength would benefit the bench. The base is mostly Ash, and the front third of the top is Ash (the back two-thirds of the top are douglas fir as are the two back legs). The construction is drawbored mortise and tenons. I used Titebond II for laminating the top, the legs, the stretchers, and the chop. I used some System Three long-cure epoxy for assembling the base and attaching the top to the base. Overall, the bench seems very sturdy (it withstood a move several states away by commercial movers and a brief stay in storage just after being assembled) so I hope to get many years out of it. I affixed stair tread non-slip traction tape to the feet and the bench does a good job of staying in place despite the fact that it is not the heaviest of benches (it is probably in the 225 pound range).

Overall, I am happy with the way it turned out. This was my first real project using a lot of hand tools and using traditional joinery techniques. I made several mistakes along the way, but usually figured out ways to overcome or downplay the mistakes. I learned a lot and have a greater appreciation for woodworking (especially the fine woodworking that I see posted on this forum). I look forward to using it on future projects and improving my skills.

The Benchcrafted leg vise is great, I like the ability to quickly place and hold my work (something that I didn't have before). The installation instructions were easy to follow. I also really like the holdfasts too (Gramercy). They are such an ingenious, quick solution for holding work.

Here are some pictures of the finished product (covered in some saw dust from recent use). It is not perfect in appearance and that is fine since it will be put to use. As you can see, I placed a Dutchman/spline in the top. There was a slight void between a couple of laminate layers, so I decided to add the spline. As I excavated down a little below the surface, the void disappeared. I probably didn't need the spline, but it was a good chance to experiment further with different techniques.

All in all, I am happy with the end result. It will be a useful tool going forward and now I have a proper workbench for hand tool work and woodworking in general. I already have a list of projects that I want to tackle over the coming months.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice. Looks ready to go to work. Plenty stout enough. A bench doesn’t have to weigh a quarter ton to be a good workbench.
    Jim

Ian,

Nice bench. It is good to see a simple straight forward bench. I expect you will get many years of enjoyable use. Once you spill glue, paint, nick it a few times with saws and chisels and add a few french marks with your hammers, post another few photos by then it will be beautiful.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Very nice. Looks ready to go to work. Plenty stout enough. A bench doesn’t have to weigh a quarter ton to be a good workbench.
    Jim
    Jim you often speak the truth.

ken

Ian,

Looks great, and it sounds like it will work as good as it looks. Very nice work!

Ken, good point. Using woodworking stuff is what should be done with it, and using stuff always seems to involve dents, etc., given enough time, at least in my case.

I have old chisels, vintage planes and saws, and other old tools, and they all have dings and dents. The ones I use most tend to get restored, but there are limits. They look a lot better and in most cases look pretty good, they get sharpened, etc., but they don't look new, and I guess I really don't want them to look new. The woodworking tools I have had the longest are old friends, and have served me well.

This points to your very good point. The dings, dents, paint and glue spots, etc., are battle scars of war, and are signs of battles hard fought and won.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 11-18-2018 at 11:34 PM.

Well done, Ian! It’s hard to keep after a project for 20 months, but good on you. That bench will give you many years of good use. Enjoy it, you deserve it!

looks great. and i know from experience it feels great to finish it. not put it to use!!

Blog Entries
    This must be bench week, great bench Ian.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Good job, and a great bench.

Great looking bench. Wish I were one of you guys posting my just finished bench but I’ve not even started on one yet. LOL

Congratulations are in order. I also have the Benchcrafted leg vice (wheel version), and bet you will love the functionality and grip.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Good job, and a great bench.
    ...and I didn't mean your job was only "good" compared to the bench is "great"!!!!! Should have said great job. ;-)

A bench is a big project Ian. I am still working on mine after 20 months or more. I've lost count. Your bench came out really nice. I am sure you will enjoy it every time you use it in the years to come.

Thanks all, I appreciate all the comments. I’ve enjoyed reading many of your threads over the past few years and have learned a lot. I look forward to putting many of the tips to use in the coming months and years.