Thread: M98 calling another file or subprogram in WinCnC

M98 calling another file or subprogram in WinCnC

We are running some parts in production, two sided machining, trying to figure out how to have wincnc run the second side immediately after the first automatically (two separate files) or at least have WinCNC call up the other file and just be able to hit enter to run it. Trying to speed up and not have to go to the PC and load each file manually. The WinCNC manual for M98 and M98.1 dont shed much light but Im pretty slow on the uptake with a lot of this stuff. (and cautious).

Try adding this to your 1st file:

M98 C:\File Folder\File Name.tap
    G4

Or if you are running a lot of them, copy and paste similar to this:

1st file header
    1st file cutting code
    X
    X
    XX

G53 Z0 lifts head
    G53 X## Y## (if needed )

G4 [pause til enter

Second file cutting code
    X
    X
    Xx

Second file footer
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Thanks a bunch Gary, Im going to give it a go in the AM. We are running hundreds of these two files (front side and back side) and trying to cut out all the steps we can at the computer.

I have no idea what size your parts are, but if small enough I have used fixtures where position A is for one side, and position B is for the back. Each time you run a program it mills the top side of X number of parts and the back of the same number of parts at the other location. You need a jig that is indexed very well, but if 100's of identical parts, it might be an idea. If the parts are large, I get it.

You could have titled the thread, hey Gary, how do I? That is pretty much who I figured might answer this. I just managed to create a better warmup routine to move my gantry around the table after spindle warms up, so I am no help with the gcode part.

Brad,
    That's basically the setup I have. Fixture holding several parts with both fronts and backs in the same fixture. But it's faster to be able to cycle one front and one back rather than letting it run a deck of fronts and then the backs as we spend too much time unloading and reloading. And when with tool changes you can pretty much empty and reload the fixture in a tool change so the flow never stops.