Thread: "X" table leg angle advice

"X" table leg angle advice

Hi all,

I am making a butcher block console table and wanted to do X legs similar to the ones in the picture below. Any advice on how to measure the angles aside from cutting them longer than the length i need and holding up against the frame and drawing the line on the legs?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Simply geometry, but need to know the inside dimensions of the 'box' where they will be fitted, and the thickness of the braces. Also need the intercept position** - for example, do you want:
    1- the centerline of the braces to hit the intersection of the leg/stretcher?
    2- the top surface of the braces to hit the intersection?
    3- the bottom surface of the braces to hit the intersection?
    ... or other?

Or, just lay it out in Sketchup?

------------------
    ** - not sure what to call this.

I would model the table in SketchUp (which is what "sawdustgirl" did) and pull the angles and lengths off the model. You could also lay it out on a large sheet of brown paper or a piece of plywood, MDF, or other large flat surface and lift the angles and lengths off of the full sized drawing. If you look at her website, she gives most of the information you need if you're building to her dimensions.

Edit: She does give some dimensions but after modeling it out I see that some of the dimensions are not given accurately. Best to lay it out yourself.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 11-18-2018 at 4:27 PM.

Or just make a full scale drawing on a piece of paper or cardboard...and cut a template from that

( A solution from one of us that is older than he feels... )
    Last edited by Bill Space; 11-18-2018 at 4:23 PM. Reason: typo
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I have not used sketch up yet. I am just starting to try it for the first time tonight.

Here we go!

People people people

The intersection of the diagonals will be at their midpoint. The length of the diagonal will be the square root of the (length of the straight leg) squared plus the (distance between the legs) squared. That is c^2 = sqrt (a^2 + b^2) where c is the length of the diagonal. Those are maximum dimensions inside the legs and aprons. Don't forget to allow for the thickness of the lumber used for the braces. If I was going to build it I would cut the diagonals first and fit the legs and aprons to them.

Doug

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hepler View Post
    People people people

The intersection of the diagonals will be at their midpoint. The length of the diagonal will be the square root of the (length of the straight leg) squared plus the (distance between the legs) squared. That is c^2 = sqrt (a^2 + b^2) where c is the length of the diagonal. Those are maximum dimensions inside the legs and aprons. Don't forget to allow for the thickness of the lumber used for the braces. If I was going to build it I would cut the diagonals first and fit the legs and aprons to them.

Doug
    Actually it is c= sqrt (a^2 + b^2)
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee,

I was referring to the non-Euclidian polydimensional hyperspacial Oh, . OK. my bad. Thanks for correcting

Doug
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-20-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Just remember SOHCAHTOA

I would do a s quick scale drawing and pick up the angle with a bevel gauge