Thread: Posting Multiple Pictures Question

Blog Entries

Posting Multiple Pictures Question

Once upon a time we could put up to 10 pictures in a thread post at once. Then things changed to two. This really kills my incentive to post thorough project journals. Is there another way to post a more picture-rich thread that I missed (or was too lazy to look for )?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

there are ways

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Once upon a time we could put up to 10 pictures in a thread post at once. Then things changed to two. This really kills my incentive to post thorough project journals. Is there another way to post a more picture-rich thread that I missed (or was too lazy to look for )?
    Glenn, I think the limit is currently 8 photos. If only getting two something is wrong? Some temporary problem? Could it be you are a "member" rather than a "contributor"? I don't know.

There are other ways.

What I usually do for wood turnings is make a composite photo with several smaller (I'll test to see if I can post more than 2):

persimmon_boxes_e_small.jpg B032_carved_bowl_IMG_4195.jpg penta_maple_ellis_c_IMG_5435.jpg Threaded_Ebony_Box3_comp_smaller.jpg

Lots of image editing programs will let you do this. I use Photoshop.

Another way is to link photos from another source. Not generally advised since if the source goes away, the pictures are gone.

Another way is to upload the photos into an album here on SMC and insert a link to the photo. One advantage or disadvantage is the photos are shown full-sized. I haven't tested this for more than eight total photos in a message but here goes:

Yep, that works. I think you're set for journaling away! (You might need to be a "contributor" to make an album. I don't remember.)

BTW, contributor status is just 50 cents a month and has several benefits.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/payments.php

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Maybe that is it. I let my subscription expire. When I try to add pics via the paperclip I can only add two at a time. This is way too cumbersome for a journal. Maybe I better re-up and see if that is the fix.

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    OK, paid my nickle . Can still only load 2 pics at a time via the picture manager (paper clip) let me try the insert image . . . Nope can only do one at a time that way.

So what I am hearing is you can load 8 or 10 pics or whatever the limit is but, you have to do it 1 or 2 at a time or go through some convoluted dance, yes? Why don't we just let folks load the max per post all at once like many other forums? Just curious.

– Samuel Butler

I don't think you can ever load more than two at a time when uploading to the album, one at a time when inserting. I just repeat as needed. It might seem convoluted but it takes very little extra time. The example I did just for you was very quick.

I can't answer the "why don't" forum question.

Another option is to create your journal in MS word or something then convert it to PDF (with online tools) then upload it to some web site and post a link to it. That way will let your format the text and pictures exactly how you like so it can look like a polished magazine article. That's how I create turning how-to documents.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    OK, paid my nickle . Can still only load 2 pics at a time via the picture manager (paper clip) let me try the insert image . . . Nope can only do one at a time that way.

So what I am hearing is you can load 8 or 10 pics or whatever the limit is but, you have to do it 1 or 2 at a time or go through some convoluted dance, yes? Why don't we just let folks load the max per post all at once like many other forums? Just curious.

Glenn, I don't use the "manager"...I just use the picture/image button and "computer" in the posting process and add them one at a time, generally by selecting and uploading them individually since I often put text between images. The "Choose File" button is first after clicking on the Image button and then there is smaller text under that for "upload". The limit is 8 images per post that way. The limit for linked images, including smilies is 15 per post. SMC recommends uploading here for long-term posterity.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

How big are your pictures? The site has a limit of just under 220K for a jpg and a maximum width of 1,200 pixels (I think) wide. I don't know what the maximum total is per post. In Go Advanced under Manage Attachments there is a little ? mark in the top right corner of the box. When you click on it another little box opens with the maximum allowable file sizes for each kind of doc, jpg, zip file etc., the site allows. So if you are not reducing the size of your pictures that may be your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    How big are your pictures? The site has a limit of just under 220K for a jpg and a maximum width of 1,200 pixels (I think) wide.
    The forum software will reduce the pictures, at least in some cases. I've tested this in the past.

I just tried this: it's a 5 meg file straight from the camera, 5472x3678 pixels. (Took a while to upload!) It looks like the forum automatically reduced it to 1200x800.

IMG_7144.jpg

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Glenn, I don't use the "manager"...I just use the picture/image button and "computer" in the posting process and add them one at a time, generally by selecting and uploading them individually since I often put text between images. The "Choose File" button is first after clicking on the Image button and then there is smaller text under that for "upload". The limit is 8 images per post that way. The limit for linked images, including smilies is 15 per post. SMC recommends uploading here for long-term posterity.

Jim
    Forum Moderator
    I am a big proponent of uploading the pictures to make sure the threads retain their value. I'm all on board there. I pre-reduce all my pics to 800 pixels in the largest dimension. I know the forum will do this most of the time for me but, it is easier to batch process the pics. I guess this, and the fact that other vBulletin forums allow it, is what makes me want to batch upload them as well. It is just a procedural annoyance and one can work around it but, it still makes me fail to post things that I post elsewhere. My fear is that if someone like me who has been using SMC for over a decade decides it isn't worth the hassle to post a journal, how many other good threads are we missing out on. Thanks for the info.

– Samuel Butler

John now that you proved you can upload a big picture try and see how many you can do. I’m curious to see if you’ll max out before eight.

The other thing to keep in mind is the rural users like myself don’t have the fast downloads a city dweller has. I’m on a wifi getting a signal from a 600’ high tower a couple miles away. At peak times it is slower so if pictures are taking too long to download because they are big I stop and move on to another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    John now that you proved you can upload a big picture try and see how many you can do. I’m curious to see if you’ll max out before eight.
    Ha! Ok, I'll do that when I get some spare time, maybe in February. When I tested this a long time ago I uploaded several but never counted. I did find that with some photos 3 megs was too big, some 1 meg was too big. I think it is related to how easily the image can be compressed, i.e., how many adjacent pixels are the same or close to the same color. The 5meg picture has a lot of white, black, and grey. JPGs "love" that!

The upload time for the 5meg picture was long even with fast broadband, but the resulting image is only 97k.

For posting images to forum, I process them in Photoshop to reduce the file size to less than 100K. (It is just a few clicks in Photoshop to force any image to any specified maximum file size.) 100K the maximum for one of the forums I visit. Every time I prepare one for posting I save it in a directory tree called "for posting" in case I want to use it again someday. I think 100K is plenty for pictures viewed on a screen, and as you say, it is kind for those with slow connections.

JKJ