Thread: Mounting ornaments in relief

Mounting ornaments in relief

I'm making a couple of picture frames as Christmas gifts. I've got some thin (1/8"), flat, wooden carved dragonfly ornaments I'd like to attach to the frames, raised from the surface. My plan is the insert 5/16" or 3/8" dowels into the frame and attach the dragonflies to the dowels protruding about 1/4" above the surface. What's the best way to attach the ornaments to the ends of the dowels ? I will, likely, use two dowels per dragonfly.

The dowels will be end grain. I could dimple the dowels to hold more glue, and scuff the backs of the ornaments. Would this be sufficient? Is there a better way? What would be the best glue to use? Maybe I could put some finishing nails in the ends of the dowels but they would only stick into the backs of the ornaments by 1/16", or so. I could help to make a firm attachment with 23g pins, but that would look tacky.
    Last edited by Yonak Hawkins; 11-18-2018 at 12:27 PM.

If I'm following you correctly, it seems like you could epoxy the dowell to the dragonfly. Perhaps try it on a practice part and see if it is strong enough?

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Can you drill at least some small holes into the back of the ornament where the attachment would occur? Then fill those holes with epoxy when attaching to the dowel. Holes in the ends of the dowels wouldn't hurt either. You'll get a much better mechanical bond that way.

Is it possible to use small blocks or disks cut so side grain will be glued to side grain, rather than end grain to side grain? I can imagine turning some mounts from some sideways grain blocks that have a dowel-like round end that could be glued into the frame and a wider flat to glue to the back of the ornaments. Should be plenty strong with good wood. (drop by and pick up some dogwood!) I think dimpling the end of the dowels wouldn't help since the glue needs wood-to-wood contact (unless you are using epoxy).

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    I'm making a couple of picture frames as Christmas gifts. I've got some thin (1/8"), flat, wooden carved dragonfly ornaments I'd like to attach to the frames, raised from the surface. My plan is the insert 5/16" or 3/8" dowels into the frame and attach the dragonflies to the dowels protruding about 1/4" above the surface. What's the best way to attach the ornaments to the ends of the dowels ? I will, likely, use two dowels per dragonfly.

The dowels will be end grain. I could dimple the dowels to hold more glue, and scuff the backs of the ornaments. Would this be sufficient? Is there a better way? What would be the best glue to use? Maybe I could put some finishing nails in the ends of the dowels but they would only stick into the backs of the ornaments by 1/16", or so. I could help to make a firm attachment with 23g pins, but that would look tacky.

Thanks for your responses, all.

John, it sounds like you may be recommending some glue other than epoxy. What do you have in mind ? I like you idea of some thin, possibly larger disks which could be glued to the dragonflies side grain to side grain. They could be attached to the ends of the dowels using pins.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Thanks for your responses, all.

John, it sounds like you may be recommending some glue other than epoxy. What do you have in mind ? I like you idea of some thin, possibly larger disks which could be glued to the dragonflies side grain to side grain. They could be attached to the ends of the dowels using pins.
    Not necessarily recommending any kind of glue, but most wood glue, such as Titebond, won't fill voids but likes a tight contact. The epoxy may well be a good choice.

Without seeing the pieces, sizes, and how high you want the flat ornaments off the frame it's hard to imagine what I'd try. If the frame is not flat, drilling and gluing in a standoff sounds good, especially if the frame is already finished or is best finished before the ornaments are added. If the front of the frame is flat and unfinished, just gluing on a little block with normal wood glue would be easy. Assuming here the back of the ornaments are unfinished.

If you have spare frame, maybe test a few ideas.

JKJ

Thanks, John, and all for your help.