Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Split-Top Roubo with LN Twin Screw end vise and Pattern Maker's vise

Classy inlays
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Very versatile bench Malcolm. Nine foot doors and wooden surfboards! Different world to mine. It shows you have to build what you want. Not sure how you would hold a drawer to plane the edge but that’s about it.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Blog Entries
    Got to build some boat parts this morning. Rudder and rudder stock out of Ipe and teak. Beautiful 12” x 76” piece of teak.
    Attached Images Attached Images

GREAT job Malcolm! I love how you made it work for your needs instead of just building a straight copy. The moulding for the sliding deadman is smart and looks good. I love the incorporation of the pattern makers vice, something I may copy as I have been mulling over how to incorporate one in my next bench. I love so many things about this bench. I know the current vogue is to simplify one's bench (an excuse for the serial bench builders to go out with the old and in with the new) I think the best bench is the one that fits an individuals work flow and tools. It is very clear you spent a lot of time thinking about what you needed in a bench not just what an 18th-century cabinetmaker saw as the perfect bench.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Malcolm, thank you for sharing your thought process as well as the beautiful bench. Like Van, i will likely plagiarize some ofyour ideas.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, guys- plagiarize all you like.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful bench Malcolm. And I liked your video.

PHM

You mentioned bolting on the vise instead of breadboard and dovetail. Could I bother you to explain in more detail?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
    You mentioned bolting on the vise instead of breadboard and dovetail. Could I bother you to explain in more detail?
    I used threaded inserts and bolted the end cap onto the bench top. I will try to get some pictures tomorrow. The bolt heads are recessed into the end cap (which is also the inside face of the vise). It's taking forces pushing against it, so there is no need for fancy joinery.

Blog Entries
    7A2BE7F9-9985-4FCE-842E-125F9C8D07D7.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
    Here is a picture. I used bronze bolts since the receiving threaded insert was brass and I may be taking this apart to use in exhibitions. I didn’t want to gouge the threads with stainless over time- probably way overkill. Also, the boatbuilder in me can’t bring himself to using stainless and brass together. Again- this is silly on my part but it’s just engrained in me. I doubt my bench will ever be submerged in salt water!

edit: The leather seen in the picture is a whole shoulder of veg tan 9 ounce that will be used to cover the vise jaws. Highly recommend for any vise. The rest will be used on chafing points on the boat.
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 11-26-2018 at 12:40 PM.

That is stunning.

What a beauty of a bench. Definitely a heirloom.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    7A2BE7F9-9985-4FCE-842E-125F9C8D07D7.jpg

Here is a picture. I used bronze bolts since the receiving threaded insert was brass and I may be taking this apart to use in exhibitions. I didn’t want to gouge the threads with stainless over time- probably way overkill. Also, the boatbuilder in me can’t bring himself to using stainless and brass together. Again- this is silly on my part but it’s just engrained in me. I doubt my bench will ever be submerged in salt water!

edit: The leather seen in the picture is a whole shoulder of veg tan 9 ounce that will be used to cover the vise jaws. Highly recommend for any vise. The rest will be used on chafing points on the boat.
    Thanks! This is an amazing bench. Giving me lots of great ideas for my next bench.

Blog Entries
    Not sure how I missed this post, the bench looks fantastic! Nice work, Malcolm!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Not sure how I missed this post, the bench looks fantastic! Nice work, Malcolm!

Highest compliment coming from a man of your skill. Thanks. It is so wonderful having a "real" bench after all these years. It is saving me so much time just by being able to clamp things in a proper vise and having an end vise that works like an end vise should. Folks- I am still so amazed by the Lie-Nielsen twin screw vise. IT. DOES. NOT. RACK. Not at all. Not even if you open it all the way and try to wiggle it side to side.