Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Split-Top Roubo with LN Twin Screw end vise and Pattern Maker's vise

Blog Entries

Split-Top Roubo with LN Twin Screw end vise and Pattern Maker's vise

Well folks, I finally got around to finishing the bench, and I made a video to share ideas. I depended on videos like this when designing my bench, so I'm paying it forward here.

It's a long video, so here are some highlights:

• First part shows the Lie-Nielsen vise
    • 6:02 I show how my deadman slides on a decorative moulding instead of a vee- works beautifully
    • 7:52 I show how the patternmaker's vise is mounted on an extension, and show the vise functions. This is the one sold at Highland Woodworking. Buy this vise! I love it.
    • 10:40 my idea for an adjustable planing stop that was simple to make and you turn a knob to raise the center piece at any height you want for a planing stop
    • 13:54 Raven Tools hand forged Roubo holdfast

Here is the link to the video. Thanks to all who have shared knowledge here- paying it forward.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O6-ytBntzgM

Blog Entries
    ...and a still shot. Notice that the patternmaker’s vise is hung on an extension so you can work all sides of it. I love that.
    D4EA8A9D-98C6-4A62-B8B2-9EC98C9BD716.jpg

Malcolm,

Pretty bench. How long did it take you to finish it?

ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Malcolm,

Pretty bench. How long did it take you to finish it?

ken

Welllllllll... um.... Only a year and a half! (I had a lot of other projects and this was put on hold.

Nicely done Malcolm. More importantly is is made to fit your style of work. You should enjoy every time you work on it. I followed your posts about designing it and I don’t think you made any compromises in the build. You shouldn’t have any of those “I wish I had” moments.
    Jim

Am amazing bench Malcolm! If it were mine I would toss a pillow on it & sleep on it for a few weeks😂

Well done!

What's her length at the water line? Sea trials scheduled yet?

Looks great. I really like your setup. Nice tool collection too. Any moisture issues given your location? I noticed the window blinds moving so I’m guessing you have outside air and humidity factors. Thanks for sharing the video.

Congrats, Malcolm. I know you’ve had this project going for some time. Nice to have it completed. You have some great innovations built in, that would serve many of us well. Appreciate the video. By the way, nice presentation style...very relaxed, comfortable...easy to watch.

Hi Malcolm,

Your bench looks great and is clearly the product of careful thought and many years experience. I really like your use of the foot levelers. Thanks too for posting the video, I wish there had been more like it out there when I built mine. I’ll look forward to seeing more videos if you put them up.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Great bench and video Malcolm, thanks for sharing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You have a lot of great ideas incorporated into your bench Malcom. I appreciate the time you took to post the video. Food for thought.
    And a gerat looking bench to boot.

Beautiful well thought out bench! Some great ideas there and I bet more than a few hours of noodling.

Please post some more stills for those with slow video connections.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the compliments and comments. A few replies to specific questions- hope I didn’t miss anyone:

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Looks great. I really like your setup. Nice tool collection too. Any moisture issues given your location? I noticed the window blinds moving so I’m guessing you have outside air and humidity factors. Thanks for sharing the video.
    Yes, downstairs is open air- shutters only- no window glass. The planes all stay in a caninet with a light that is always on to dry the air. I use camphor blocks in the toolboxes. I have surprisingly not too much issue with rust with those precautions. There is always airflow- shutters always open, and louvers over the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Well done!

What's her length at the water line? Sea trials scheduled yet?
    LWL 7’. LOA including bowsprit (patternmaker’s vise) and boomkin (LN vise) is 8’6”. No sea trial as yet, but I suspect she won’t have much freeboard. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Beautiful well thought out bench! Some great ideas there and I bet more than a few hours of noodling.

Please post some more stills for those with slow video connections.

More stills as requested:

E111AB96-0FBA-4329-BE2A-ECCBB882D116.jpg

9EDADCDD-38F9-4FC4-9EF6-78FA86B638A0.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice bench and video. Thanks for sharing!