Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Split-Top Roubo with LN Twin Screw end vise and Pattern Maker's vise

I'm curious what was your thought process in choosing the LN vice over the LV version? Obviously, the LN was a good choice.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I'm curious what was your thought process in choosing the LN vice over the LV version? Obviously, the LN was a good choice.
    Great question. I pondered over both. I would have been happy with either. I don’t like the external chain drive in the Veritas vise (it has a cover, but the LN is made into he chop.) I also don’t like the dual handles. I could have worked around that by leaving one off and putting some sort of cap on it, but didn’t want to deal with that. Watch a video of one in action- when you turn one handle the other one wants to smack you if you’re not paying attention.

The Lie-Nielsen is the best vise I’ve ever tried. No contest. The threads fit perfectly. It was a pain in the butt to make the chop and install, but it was so worth it.

Came back to watch the video AGAIN. Malcolm, great bench and really impressed with the thoughtfulness that went into it. OTOH, still curious to see how you use the T-tracks at the end corner . . . . Can’t quite wrap my head around that aspect. But, love everything else that i understand! Patrick

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Came back to watch the video AGAIN. Malcolm, great bench and really impressed with the thoughtfulness that went into it. OTOH, still curious to see how you use the T-tracks at the end corner . . . . Can’t quite wrap my head around that aspect. But, love everything else that i understand! Patrick

Thanks, Patrick. The T-Track on the corner is for screwing in a removable tool tray, sewing machine holder (wife's mom is a seamstress and makes boat cushions- I married wisely), or other bolt-ins. Down the middle is for holding forms for building surfboards which need to be level and perpendicular to the table. In the past I glued them with hot melt glue to the building table. To be honest, it is still experiemental, but instead of hot melt glue, the forms get screwed in with L brackets and can be removed easily when the build is done.

What a bench !!!
    I really love the pattern makers vice, and total unhindered access to each side of the work.
    That is sweeeeet.
    Jealous me is
    Great work, It is a credit to you.

Tom