Thread: All this Black Friday talk has me thinking....

All this Black Friday talk has me thinking....

I don't own a table saw. I use a circular saw with a straight edge.

I've been eyeballing the Delta 36-725 for a while now. It runs $599 and don't know what it would be on Black Friday. Any input on this saw. As a point of interest, the table is the same height as a 8'x4' work bench I made years ago so I already have an outfeed table.

And yes, I'd rather own a Saw Stop knowing full well it's cheaper than re-attaching a finger or two.
    847962005137.jpg

I've got that saw and have enjoyed using it for over 3 years. No, it's not a SawStop, but a decent saw for the price. I've made numerous jigs to use on it and it performs well. It's a bit ;under-powered for real thick hardwood, but does fine if feed is slow. I've got a WW II blade on mine and have built an outfeed table.
    One bad aspect of that saw is the dust collection big time and I don't mean in a good way. I enclosed the bottom below with a table saw dust funnel that is 14 x 14 and hooked up a 4" hose to it. I put a 2 1/2" x 4" wye and connected that to my 4" line going to my DC. On top I built a blade guard that hangs from above the saw with a 2 1/2" line also. Works fair, but not what I'd like it too. Mobility is nice, but with my outfeed table installed and extended it can be tippy.
    I made my own zero clearance inserts and one for dado's but ended up buying the commercial ones made for that saw when they became available.

You may get other's that may give it a negative review, but I think for the money it's a fine saw.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-18-2018 at 10:17 PM.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I would be surprised if it is cheaper on Black Friday. It seems most of the BF sales are for cheaper items like cordless hand tools, tape measures, and ladders that appeal to a broader audience. If not, you may want to consider buying a Lowe's coupon from Ebay. I have done this several times for bigger purchases. A 10 percent off coupon costs a few bucks and it could save you 60 dollars -- enough to put a decent blade on it. Or you could buy one of the Gripper push blocks to reduce the risk of losing a finger or two. Just make sure the saw is eligible for the discount.

It runs $599 and don't know what it would be on Black Friday.
    It will be $599.
    The Black Friday ads are posted on blackfriday.com

You can however get a 5% discount on everything you buy, if you apply for a Lowes consumer credit card - - it's an American Express private label card.
    5% off doesn't even cover the sales tax - - but - -it's better than a sharp stick in the eye.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I had this saw and would recommend you look somewhere else to spend your money. While it is not a terrible saw, it has poor dust collection, is very loud, and for me and most important, the fence system isn't user friendly. Can it be useful? Sure but for $600 there are many used saws out there if you look long enough and there may be some other contractor type saws for about the same amount of money that are better quality. I did make a sled for the saw and it worked well enough but otherwise it was, for me at least, a mistake. The other difficulty I had was trying to adjust the riving knife properly. No matter what I did, it was always just a little off center. To me, that is a major safety concern.

For that money I would buy a used unisaw or equal. If the arbor is not dinged up and the trunnions are not cracked there is nothing expensive that can go wrong. bearings are cheap.
    Bill D.

I was asking about a $600 saw. I looked up the unisaw and it's $2600 new which tells me it would probably be $1500 used. I'd be shopping for a Saw Stop at that point.

I never apply for store credit cards to save x%. There 3 major credit scoring companies (eg experian) view this as someone who doesn't have enough money to buy a tool, or a book, or gas, etc. It therefore dings your credit. So, that $60 savings, while good at the moment, may cost you thousands if you buy a car or a house. If you can get a house loan at 5% now and 5.125% because of that one card, well...do the math over the life of a 30 year loan or a 60 month car loan.

As for the riving knife. My shop motto is "safety comes second to having a wicked pissah time" lol I was reading a post last week and someone was talking about not using a certain chemical do to cancer concerns. I was stirring epoxy with my finger as I was reading it.

Michael, you can often get a nice, used, older cabinet saw for under $800. Same goes for a used higher-end contractor's style saw from Delta or Jet. These machines will usually outperform a "new" hybrid in the price range you are asking about and probably will have a better fence system, too. Remember, those older cabinet saws sold new for half what they are going for today new and the older ones are often better built.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use a Lowes credit card to get the automatic 5% discount and I simply do not believe what Michael Costa has said about the effect it has on one's credit rating. My score is 800+ and has been for 20 years. I also have a Home Depot card but I seldom use it because, unlike the Lowes card, there is no financial incentive. What I have read is that your credit score is enhanced by the amount of unutilized credit reserve you have. Mine is quite high since I have several credit cards and don't carry a balance on any of them. If that is true, then having a Lowes card is good for your credit score.

I have been looking at the delta saw too,,i have a dewalt dwe 7491rs and I love it,,my only concern is I would like to have a larger table top but as far as accuracy and convience this in my opinion is the best saw on the market,,im actually going to keep it for a dedicated dado saw,,I would love to find a table saw with a rack and pinion fence but I don't believe they make them,,,,

Blog Entries
    Take a close look at the RIDGID 13 Amp 10 in. Professional Cast Iron Table Saw. It sells for about the same price and is a really solid saw for the money. My son purchased one last year at this time and I was surprised at how well aligned it was out of the box and the fit and finish was pretty nice as well. So far it has performed very well.
    ridgid-table-saws-r4512-64_1000.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Back to black friday I just got an email from horible fright. They have 15% off coupons that work on every item including tool cabinets saw blades etc that the normal 20% coupons exclude.
    Bill D.

I would save up and search for a use saw after Christmas once someone sells there old saw that was replaced by a new sawstop