Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which slotted screwdriver tips: Cabinetmaker or Keystone?

Blog Entries
    To me, the problem isn't the screwdriver but the screws. I work with old furniture from time to time and the old screw slots were nice and deep and pretty much any screwdriver would be effective. These days, it seems that the slots aren't as deep and the screw alloy is softer leading to the driver slipping out. All due respect the the thread but aren't you guys trying to solve the problem of the screws by tweaking the drivers?

For things that don't show, my preference is square drive screws or torx. But they are a bit off-putting if the head is visible. I've been known to sort of pre-thread a screw with a square drive, remove that screw and in a slotted screw using a lubricant so it goes in easy.

Roger brings up a good point. Square drive or torx screws really don't look good in furniture or cabinetry when they're exposed, neither do Phillips IMO so slotted drivers are required. Threading with a power driven screw first then replace with a nice looking slotted screw seems like a good way to go.