Thread: Coloring CA with explanation or other solution.

Coloring CA with explanation or other solution.

I think John is correct in that I should have probably said what I wanted to do.

While cleaning and upgrading my garage shop this summer I came across an abandoned "sun face" intarsia project that I decided to complete.

I did two things horribly wrong when cutting out the face pieces. First, I decided to use my bandsaw with a 1/8" blade. It's satin wood and I didn't want to struggle through it with a scroll saw.
    Second, instead of cutting pieces of the face in various parts of the wood I just slapped the entire face pattern on and went to town.

Combining the saw kerf with how I cut the pattern ended up making some unsightly gaps in the pieces when glued into place.

2018-11-16 20.55.11.jpg

I save a mason jar full of the dust from sanding and attempted to fill these gaps by putting CA into the gaps and then sprinkling dust into the gaps. But when the glue dried it got dark and looked awful as you can see in the photo.

This photo shows the gaps filled in with the dust. There's nothing holding it place. It doesn't look bad. I would love to spray glue on it to hold it in place but the air pressure from spray adhesive would just blow the dust out.

20181116_203616.jpg

I'm not sure what to do with it at this point. I don't want to toss it. The rays came out nice.

20181116_203703.jpg

Any help here would be appreciated. This is taking up my entire workbench at the moment and I feel like I'm at a complete standstill. I know if I put it away (yet again) I'll never get back to it.

Honest answer?

I actually prefer the look of nothing in the gaps (top picture).
    It adds depth to the image...

Just MHO..
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

My opinion is the same as Rich's if choosing between the two pictures. Most likely YOU are the only one who would notice. We are all our own worst critics when it comes to our projects. There was even an article in a woodworking magazine a while back on that very subject. I'd say finish your project as is. Perhaps at some time in the future you'll make another one, but in the mean time this one will be done and people who see it will likely ooohhhh and aaawww over it.